We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 x64, GPT/UEFI and Par titioning

Ptolemy

Likes # 0

Hi all

My wife got a new Dell XPS laptop from her employer. A very impressive bit of kit with Windows 8, 64 bit, masses of RAM and many, many processor cores (dreadful touchpad though ). And 1TB HDD.

She asked me to set up it the same way as her existing Windows 7 laptop, so a fun few hours discovering how the charms bar works (before giving up on that and going for Start8) and installing various bits. I then decided to partition the huge drive so the OS and program files are on one partition which can be imaged and restored with Acronis as required while all the jpgs mp3s docxs etc remain safe on the second partition (every computer in our home is set up this way and I've found it to be the best method).

I shrank the partition as much as possible and ended up with 400 GB before immovable files put a stop to that - needlessly large I thought so I installed EASEUS partition manager which I have used with W7 without problem (can you see my obvious mistake yet?) and set it for a 200 GB partition, started it going and popped back five minutes later expecting to find everything as desired. Instead the laptop no longer believed it had a HDD. Several days of frustration and blame from my wife and trying every fix on the net - and finding a lot of people who had done the exact same thing (although probably without so much blame) - and a talk with Dell resulted in the conclusion of a failed HDD and a replacement drive fitted. The current situation is that the machine is pretty much as wanted except the partition sizes aren't as required and no Acronis image has been made.

So, the questions this experience raises are:

1. Did the drive fail or did EASEUS break it? (If it was just waiting to fail my opinion is that it's good to find out so early on and not when it was full of data that hadn't been backed up).

2. Which partition managers (and which versions) are safe to use with the combination of Windows 8 and UEFI that Dell have produced? I'm somewhat nervous of just experimenting on this point.

3. Is Acronis (version?) safe to use with Windows 8 and UEFI.

Thanks for your time.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

3 Acronis compatibility see here

1 Bet the drive is Ok

Bootable media from previous versions of Windows may not be recognized in Windows 8. You can change the Boot Mode setting from UEFI to Legacy BIOS, and it should recognize the bootable device.

Use the following steps to change the Boot Mode:

Completely shut down your computer. Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press F2 to enter the BIOS. Use the right arrow key to select Boot. With Boot Mode highlighted, press Enter, and then use the down arrow to Press Enter. Press F10, and select Yes to save the change and exit the BIOS.

Like this post
Ptolemy

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat

.1. I thought so, especially as I ran chkdsk from recovery, but Dell replacing the drive was the only solution I could find that produced a working machine - nothing else would make the HDD "exist" for the boot process.

.3. Thanks for the info. I had seen that before, but have become rather paranoid about this new machine so I'm checking everything.

.2. Anyone?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

2 You can shrink / expand the partitions in W8 diskmanagement

Like this post
Ptolemy

Likes # 0

I shrank the partition as much as possible but was informed there were immovable files and couldn't go below 400 GB. Which is pretty large and makes the image and restore process needlessly long while empty disc space is copied.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...