We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BT Home Hub Connectivity

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Can any body recommend a reliable wireless adapter that will connect to a BT Home Hub?

I have tried three, with two different computers, in two different rooms without success.

Laptops, Skybox, mobile all connect OK but not the PC

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Yes, I should have made clear, hub and PC are in the same room, but at opposite ends, so shielding shouldn't be a problem, though a cable is still impractical.

I'm using a USB connection on the front of the PC, which is actually in line of sight to the router!

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

I'm with Nontek on this, I was having great difficulty with a wireless system in my home so switched to Homeplugs which work flawlessly.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

If you do have Mains sockets at each end of the room, then HomePlugs would still be the answer, their cables are quite short and really not noticeable in use.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

For TP-LINK adapters these instructions might help,

Win 7

Win 8.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

morddwyd, don't forget to try my suggestion. I've experienced your exact problem on two occasions, and assigning a wireless-channel number between 1 & 11 fixed things on both occasions. It should take you all of two minutes to try this. It may not help but it's definitely worth looking into.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Do you have a hands free telephone in the same room? I would try Secret-Squirrel's recommendation to change channels first. However I have a suspicion that all is not well with the pc. Do the adaptors work in the laptop?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Do the adaptors work in the laptop?"

No. Although the laptop connects Ok using its own wireless (I'm using it now) if I disable it and use the adapter nothing comes up.

However, I will try some more of the suggested solutions.

The instructions from rdave13 are particularly comprehensive and bear no relation to the instructions that came with the device!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Final update

Finally managed to connect using a Vonets VAP11G bridge.

I had been using it for a smart TV so it was already tuned to my network, and connected as soon as I plugged the RJ45 in, with no further input from me.

Thanks for all the responses.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Grreat, thanks for your feedback.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...