We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BT Home Hub Connectivity

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Can any body recommend a reliable wireless adapter that will connect to a BT Home Hub?

I have tried three, with two different computers, in two different rooms without success.

Laptops, Skybox, mobile all connect OK but not the PC

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Are your wireless adaptors "n"? or just "g"

You may need to access the settings in the router and alter the wireless settings to suit the adaptor

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

These are recommended by BT...

But, I would recommend using Homeplugs rather than wireless.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

One of the adapters, an older one, is g, the other one, in fact the TP Link recommended by BT, is n.

My Home Hub is a version 2, not 3, which may be relevant

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Does the PC's adapter recognise the home hub? if it doesn't, there is almost certainly something wrong with the adapter's configuration settings.

Like this post
Rob Gibson

Likes # 0

I've just installed one of these on my PC: http://www.netgear.co.uk/service-provider/products/wireless-adapters/wireless-n/WNA3100.aspx#

It took just a couple of minutes and I had no problems. The HH is in the front room, and the PC in a back bedroom. Connects at @ 58Mbps.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I would recommend using Homeplugs rather than wireless."

My limited knowledge of Homeplugs is that they use an ethernet connection at each end, if this is so I might just as well use an ethernet cable anyway.

FE

Neither of the adapters sees any network at all.

So far as I am aware, configuration is all done by the software.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Yes HomePlugs are connected by Ethernet cable (supplied with the plugs). One starts with a Pair of Homeplugs, one is connected to the Router and to a handy Mains Socket - the other is connected to any convenient Mains Socket in the home (on the same Ring Main) and to the other PC etc.

I use HomePlugs, mainly for when friends bring me their Laptops to work on, makes connection to Internet extremely simple and immediate.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Neither of the adapters sees any network at all."

If the adapters are configured for the North American market, and your router is broadcasting on wireless channel 12 or 13, then that could account for why your router is invisible to those adapters. In North America only channel numbers 1-11 are valid, while in the UK ours go up to 13. Having said that though, when you install the adapter software it usually asks which country you're in and configures itself appropriately. Here's what you can try though:

Login to your BT Home Hub and go to its wireless section. Make sure that the wireless channel number that it's using is 1 to 11. Don't forget to save any changes you make.

Good luck.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

Where are you plugging in the adaptors? If at the back of the PC then they may be shielded by the PC.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

BTW, with HomePlugs no configuration is needed, 'tis all entirely Plug-n-Play.

Using Ethernet cables only, would require cables all over the place, and would be rather impracticable, especially up/down stairs.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July