We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

call from "microsoft" computer locked

alan2k1

Likes # 0

hi a friend of mine fell for a call from Microsoft that his computer was faulty he did realise it was a scam and ended the call but now can not log on to his computer as it is asking for an unknown password ..tried safe mode etc but always askes for password any way round this ?

thanks alan

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

As far as I'm aware, these callers can't do anything without the owner's cooperation, so not sure where that password came from.

If he gets stuck, programmes to shift passwords can be downloaded for a few quid (I don't know of a free one that works), or he could try running a bootable disk from (say) Kaspersky to check for viruses first.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Just found this, but haven't tried it

ophcrack

Like this post
alan2k1

Likes # 0

thanks onthelimit1 its not the normal log on password screen this appears on its more like a pop up box with the option to put in the password and submit or restart

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

These scam callers install either Teamviewer or LogMeIn or a variation so they can remotely access your PC whenever it is on.

To access the PC boot from the correct windows CD and do a repair of the existing installation.

Once in look for the remote access software and take some details, forward them to the genuine company and they will take steps to prevent the scammers from using their software on your PC.

I have a cd that unlocks a windows account, if the administrator password is not known, it boots into a Linux variant and unlocks the windows installation, sorry I can't remember the proper name for it.

Like this post
alan2k1

Likes # 0

thanks yes I have just got that cd and will try it not sur if it will work as this is not the Microsoft account log on password but worth a try

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

http://www.wikihow.com/Recover-Windows-7-Password-With-Chntpw-Usb-Disk

The above is a link to the disk I have.

Also disconnect the PC from the internet whilst trying to fix, that way the scammers will not see it come up on line and will not be able to access it.

Like this post
alan2k1

Likes # 0

sorry all forgot to mention this is winxp sp3

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Not MS login

Ctrl+Alt+Del bring up task manager and have a look at what programs are running or even look in processes.

Run a bootup scan from a CD to find malware or viruses enter link description here

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If you want to try running the virus scan first, this is the link to Kaspersky rescue - you'll need to burn an iso using something like ImgBurn

Kaspersky Rescue

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

These calls seem to be getting quite common I had one saying he was from the technical dept of my broadband supplier, you can understand his reaction when I asked who my ISP was and what my connection speed should be. Funny thing was he did not know!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...