We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Suddenly I cannot open Outlook Express

MikeSA

Likes # 0

One of my machines is a Compaq Pentium 4 running Windows XP Pro. I only use this machine for e-mail and a bit of browsing. It's been working fine all along but today when I switched on the machine and clicked on the Outlook Express icon to download my messages nothing happened. Every time that I click on the Outlook Express icon, a beep is heard. When I open Internet Explorer 8 to browse, it takes ages for a page to load, then the machine simply freezes and the following message appear : THE APPLICATION OR DLL.C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ATL.DLL IS NOT A VALID WINDOWS IMAGE. Please check this against your installation diskette. But when I try to reload Windows XP using the installation disc, a message appears saying : You have a newer version of the operating system on your computer and you cannot install an older version. What do I do now? I even removed Internet Explorer 8 and then re-installed it but to no avail. Can someone please help? Thanks

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"One of my machines is a Compaq Pentium 4 running Windows XP Pro"

Do you have another PC running XP? If so, try copying the Atl.dll file from that into the System32 folder in the PC with the problem.

"You have a newer version of the operating system on your computer and you cannot install an older version"

That is almost certainly because you now have Service Packs installed that weren't in the original CD. You would still be able to perform a "clean install" by booting from the CD (assuming this is a genuine Microsoft CD and not a manufacturer's "recovery" disk). Clean installing would, of course, destroy all of your existing data on the drive, so a backup of important files is essential.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014