We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Very strange problem with my PC that I cannot get to the bottom of

pseud

Likes # 0

So first of all I'll detail my setup

I have a PC, which I've taken apart and put back together again so I know that nothing is loose or non-functioning, or anything like that.

I have a flat that I share with a friend of mine, and we have 1 half of this large living room each, one side has my PC and the other his.

I have a rug, and on the rug is my computer chair, and the front part of my desk. My PC is under my desk, to my right and the very front of it is touching the rug but I don't think that's the issue, as I've tried removing the rug and it makes no difference, so I don't think it's a weird static problem.

At the back of my desk I have an extension reel, and all my stuff is plugged in to that and the wall socked to my left.

The cables are all in properly and in a neat state, no tangling or bent parts in any cables.

The Ethernet cable goes under the rug but I've tried having that elsewhere when I do the thing that causes the problem (which I will explain shortly).

Now, the problem: When I stand up out of my computer chair, which is on the main part of the rug, my PC restarts. It happens whether I jump out of my chair, or if I climb out at a normal speed, but nonetheless it still happens and it's really screwing with my head. If I wheel my chair off the rug and out of this area of the room (back and left about 1 meter) and then stand up, it's absolutely fine.

I've tried using different power sockets (including the same one my flatmate uses for his PC (and his doesn't shut down when I stand up), and the same one as the router which also doesn't shut down, so I've ruled out it being the power socket. In-fact I've also ruled out the extension chord as nothing else that is plugged into it turns off when I do it.

I've tried shaking my PC, moving cables around and giving it quite a vigorous move around, and it is totally fine. The ONLY thing that makes it restart is when I stand up, out of my chair, while it's in front of my desk here.

I joked with my friend that maybe the person who lived here before us had a security measure installed in the floor in-case he got raided by the police, so it would restart his PC and clear passwords out from the RAM. It's just a joke of course but it's still the only logical explanation!

If anyone has any ideas as to what this might be, please leave suggestions for me below! It's really strange and I can not figure it out.

I know it's a different question to what you're probably used to, but I'm grasping at straws now.

Thanks a lot! Sorry it's a lot of text.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

What a unique and interesting problem. I suppose you do not live in Edinburgh by any chance as I would love to see this in person.

As to its cause, I have no idea unfortunately.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Static is the only thing I can think of, have you tried earthing yourself before standing up.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Very odd, the only thing that came to mind after reading was this little rhyme

I would be tempted to disconnect power button leads at motherboard and retry

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I am beginning to wonder if this very first post from psued is one of those 'try them' trick questions :O)

Static and dodgy cables seem to have been taken out of the equation, so there appears to be very little else to suggest, unless the computer is wired up to some type of infra-red or spiritual device?.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Hmm, clutching at straws, but have you got a webcam attached? Perhaps webcam is set to react to Motion?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

spuds, that crossed my mind also.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

This has got to be one the most interesting Posts I have ever read on this Forum. I can't wait to see the end result.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

What happens if you remove the rug?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Daft? Have you tried using a different chair?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

My primary thought is a loose connection somewhere in the room's power supply.

Can you get an extension lead and take your power from somewhere else?

If this solves the problem, you then have another one as such a loose connection could cause a fuse or even a fire, and ought to be found asap.

The landlord would need to be told

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more