We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Advice re converting .avi files to be played on DVD player

AroundAgain
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi

A friend has a load of videos, taken with personal video camera, which are .avi files but he wants them on DVDs so that family can have copies, to be played on DVD players, PCs, Mac's etc.

I have, this evening, used Freemake and converted to MP4 and WMA which will run on my tablet. I have also used Handbrake but seems to only convert to MP4, and also another format (forgotten what it was)

However, I'm wondering what the best format to convert these .avi files into. Apart from MP4, is there a 'standard' format that DVD players, and the like, that would be best to convert to?

Then, is there an appropriate free download of the program necessary, or would it be necessary to purchase one?

I would appreciate some (simple 'ish) advice from you guys who probably have lots of experience with this.

Thanks very much for your help :)

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Thanks guys I'm now back on to it and will give this another go right now I'll post back again soon with the outcome ;) Cheers

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

YAY!!! :) I finally managed to get a load of avi files onto DVD, using Freemake and, as Fruit Bat also suggested, creating ISO file which I could then burn to disc.

I certainly wouldn't have been able to work this out without your help and advice. All posts were helpful and for that I thank you all.

I've 'ticked' Fruit Bat's last post because that was the last piece in the jigsaw.

Again, thank you all very much.

No doubt you will be hearing from me again in due course. Just hope you have the patience ;)

Cheers

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

recourses plural of re·course (Noun)

Noun

1. A source of help in a difficult situation: "surgery may be the only recourse".

2. The use of someone or something as a source of help in a difficult situation: "all three countries had recourse to the loans".

That video reencoding software, sounds Painful in 1.

and expensive in 2...

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

make sure there are no other processes running in the background on your computer while trying to user video reencoding software, this uses alot of recourses of your machine and if you run other programs it might crash ( this means no e-mail, games, or others)

What a load of bull..

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

What about DivX to convert to

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone but I've managed to convert to dvd successfully, thanks to previous posters - please see the 'green' tick on previous page. Cheers

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

The two extra posts were due to answering to a spam post which the FE has deleted.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...