We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Chrome - what have I done????

JaneAttwood

Likes # 0

I opened a gmail account. It said I would be better off with Chrome. I tried to make Chrome my browser. Now sometimes when I search it says server error and some links say my browser doesn't support it.

What on earth have I done?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Don't panic.

You have installed the browser Chrome. You don't have to use it.

If you were using Internet Explorer before, then just open that and use it.

or if you were using Firefox before, open that and use it.

I have both Internet Explorer and Firefox on my pc, I can use either or both at the same time if I want to (sometimes I want to check how a page displays and see if it looks different in other browser)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Go to Control Panel - Add / remove

and uninstall Chrome

Like this post
JaneAttwood

Likes # 0

So why can't I access some links?

And why does the Chrome one say server error?

I think Chrome told me to deinstall some Internet explorer. Should I reinstall?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You can't 'deinstall' Internet explorer, if you uninstall IE all that will happen is it will roll back to the previous version. (if you had IE9 it will go back to IE8 - so just update it)

Chrome probably asked you to make it the 'default' browser. Do as Fruit Bat /\0/\ says and uninstall Chrome if you don't want it.

note: 'Default' just means 'use me' as the program of first choice to open and use whenever a link is clicked on - for instance if you clicked on a link in an email.

Like this post
matt2000

Likes # 0

If you want to use IE or FireFox use IE or firefox. Its 6 and two threes. Google tell you to use chrome because they want more share in the browser market. If you want chrome, if all websites say server error add a firewall exeption. Just google how in IE or FF. If its only some sites. They either don't support chrome yet or you're missing a plugin.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more