We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Computer screen freezes on startup

thumbscrew

Likes # 0

I can only start my computer in Safe Mode with networking,not normal Safe Mode. If I try and boot up as normal it goes as far as the Windows XP screen with the small squares on the bottom moving from left to right, then it freezes.I have done a System Restore but no joy. Can anyone help please?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Have you updated any drivers - especially graphics - recently? If not what had you done immediately prior to the problem?

You should note that System Restore will only affect the OS and may not impact drivers.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Hi john, I did update something yesterday...from updatechecker, can't actually remember what it was now, however I had the computer working earlier today with no problems, it only started performing when I arrived home this evening.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Failing at scrollingbars is usually a driver problem

Now you are in safemode uninstall graphics driver reboot if it gets in normally let windows reinstall driver.

If still same boot to safemode again and unistall drivers one at a time until problem resolves.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat, add/remove gives me the option I think to uninstall all my drivers. Wouldn't this completely immobilise the computer?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Add/remove does not remove drivers in XP you need to do it in device manager one at a time until it boots then you know which one was causing the problem.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Ps, how do I find the graphics driver?

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Could I wreak havoc doing this? How can I reinstall them?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

The easiest way is to Roll Back the drivers. This should allow you to simply restart using the drivers you had before the problem.

An alternative is to uninstall the new/existing drivers and reinstall. To do this you will need to download the correct drivers for your graphics card and then follow the uninstall process; having done this you need to install the drivers from the download.

I suggest you use System Restore to undo to the original position - before you used it prior to your post - and then use the Roll Back option.

Like this post
edwardsmithnice

Likes # 0

It might be some hardware problem in your system so please consult some windows tech support for solving your Problem

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Thank you johndrew fruitbat and edward and apologies for this delayed response. Reason was I called in a Tech, who spent two hours in my place trying to fix it with no joy. He then took it away and succeeded in getting it going, but just before he was leaving to bring it back, the problem returned. He then got it going second time and returned it. He was honest enough to admit that he didn't know exactly what the problem was, but it almost certainly came from an update, leading to a corrupted file and at the moment I'm running it with automatic updates turned off. Thanks all, for your help and patience.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July