We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

extra SATA drive prevents booting

rogermatthews

Likes # 0

Hi. New build, Gigabyte GA-Z77 D3H mobo, installed Windows 7 on new SSD, no problem. Added new SATA3 hard disk, then one SATA2

disk from old PC, again they worked. But when I try either of two more SATA 2 disks from old PC, Windows won't boot. It tries to

install files, then just asks me to reboot from a proper boot disk; sometimes it tells me NTLDR is missing. Simply unplugging disk

lets it boot OK (I've tried different cables etc)

I have checked BIOS and the first boot device is Windows Boot Manager; changing this to the SSD with the OS doesn't let the PC

boot (even without the extra hard drives). I have even disabled all drives except the SSD but no different, and when I go into the

BIOS again, it has changed the settings back. It seems Windows Boot Manager insists on looking at the new hard drives before the

SSD (that's my guess, anyway!)

It's driving me mad! Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Roger

Like this post
rogermatthews

Likes # 0

Good morning all!

lotvic - thanks for that, in fact I've 'cured' the problem by restoring my PC to an earlier time and reinstalling Norton. But I'll look at what you say if (and when!) the problem reoccurs.

rdave13, fruitbat - to my original problem. Here's something odd: I tried booting (as normal, without the problem drives connected) and entered boot manager during POST. I selected my SSD (with the OS installed) and it refused - it told me NTLDR is missing. It seems it will only boot from Windows Boot Manager. So I presume that any messing about with the drive/boot order won't fix it.

Here are two more things that occur:

1. reformat the drives on my old machine and try again

2. Load up windows as normal then connect the drives, maybe then reformat etc. Yes, I know I shouldn't hot swap, but is it worth taking a chance?

ANy other ideas?

Thanks, ROger

Like this post
rogermatthews

Likes # 0

Hi Everyone - just thought I'd let you know, I've resolved this. The hard way: I stuck one of the problem drives back in the old PC, backed up, then deleted partitions and formatted, using Windows disk management. When I plugged it into the new PC, it booted fine and let me partition the extra drive.

Then back into the old PC and copied the backup files etc. That's taken me most of the day, and I've yet to do the procedure with the other hard drive. Lucky I still had another working PC, if not I guess I would have had to chance plugging it in while windows was running.

THanks to everyone who posted, it's been a valuable lesson, and I've learnt new things. Very much appreciated

Cheer

Roger

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015