We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless connection to router not connecting

alternator
Resolved

Likes # 0

Running Win vista on Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop, windows Vista is updated as is the Antivirus (Mem 2GB). For some reason the Wireless connection is not connecting to internet, it was working okay. the wired LAN works fine. It says there is a wireless network available, it has a red cross to the right, and when highlighted the connect button is still greyed out. looking at the Wireless Adapter with Device Manager, it reports"This device is working properly" I have tried disable and enable no change. Checked the driver it reports "Best driver for your device is already installed" So needless to say I am at a bit of a loss, as to how to get it working again. Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Try rebooting laptop and switching router off and on again.

Like this post
alternator

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell, I failed to mention I had done this already without luck

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Over to others I'm afraid. Uninstalling the drivers and re-installing may work but before that try a system restore to before the problem began.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Power the router off and on again

re enter the routers password in the wireless connection setting on the laptop.

Like this post
alternator

Likes # 0

Woolwell that did the trick, uninstalled driver and reinstalled put in the P/W and hey presto online wirelessly. thanks for the suggestion Fruitbat, didn't get to read your post before trying the uninstall, but will keep it in mind. Thanks again all.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen