We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why is my Vinyl to Computor recording system not performing correctly?

BarryFS

Likes # 0

I have the following system set up: Denon DP-30L Turntable/Yamaha RX-500/U Stereo Receiver/Dell Optiplex 755 Computor with Windows XP pro/DJ-Tech RCA-2-USB PnP Audio Device with Software/Magix Audio Cleaning Lab MX Software. When I play an LP the Audio Cleaning Lab software tells me the Audio input is too low. I slide the Audio input volume to maximum record and the screen shows a thin band with peaks and valleys on the screen. The recording level meters show the recording level at about -25/-30db.When I play the result back there is a humming noise which is mixed in the the music. When I clean the recorded track on the Audio Cleaning Lab software it does not totally get rid of the humming sound. I also tried normalizing the recording but got the same result. I also diconnected the Turntable ground wire from the Receiver to cut down on humming. How can I increase the Audio input signal without setting it to maximum volume? Is my Receiver good enough to do the job or do I need to use a phono preamp in its place? Is there anything else I can do to make this function correctly? BarryFS

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Sounds (pardon the pun) like you need a preamp as the output from your turntable may be low.

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

You need an audio pre-amp, quite cheap on ebay.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

I agree a preamp is the answer. If the him is a 50 cycle mains hum, you may need to check that everything is effectively earthed to remove this.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

I don't know who the him is that's humming! him = hum.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

In the good old days, amps came with a pre-amp built in precisely because the output from a record deck was so low. Modern amps tend not to have them - so I make the posters who have recommended a pre-amp about right.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Looking at the manual for your receiver - RX 500/u manual - it does have an input for the turntable so I should think that there is a pre-amp built in. You need to use a line level output such as the Tape 1 as that should give the correct output levels and is not affected by the volume control. This should be connected to the Line in on your computer. Hope this helps you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings