We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

404 error screen at start up

Charlie@Henny

Likes # 0

I turned on my computer and having seen the background screen, I immediately had a 404 error screen appear. I have tried turning the computer off & back on and the same thing occurs. I have tried task manager to shut down but that doesn't work either. Not sure what else to do. Any help welcomed.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Try last good configuration in safe mode.or even a system restore if you can.

Like this post
Charlie@Henny

Likes # 0

Jock1e, I started in safe mode and did a system restore and this seems to have resolved. Thanks very much.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

For some reason your PC was trying to log onto the Internet before loading anything else. If I remember rightly a '404' is 'address not found'.

If I were you I would update my AV and Malware Protection Programs and run full Scans asap

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...