We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

leave a copy on the server using the new Outlook.com

Jock1e
Resolved

Likes # 0

There does not seem to be a way of doing this. I am using Windows Live mail and can't do it from there and going direct into Outlook.Com there does not seem to be an option there either.

No problem doing it with Virginmedia just can't find a way of doing it with Outlook.com or live.co.uk

Anyone any ideas.I don't have office so it is not that Outlook.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"leave a copy on the server using the new Outlook.com...There does not seem to be a way of doing this...."

When you use any webmail interface, you're simply viewing the messages that are stored on the server so there's no need for the option you're looking for.

"I am using Windows Live mail and can't do it from there"

Go to WLM's Options -> E-Mail Accounts section. Double-click the account you want to configure then click the "Advanced" tab. That's where you can tell WLM not to delete messages from the server after they've been downloaded.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel

Tried that and there is no Advanced for Outlook.co or Live.co.The only choice that you get is General.Server.and Security,No advanced.

But there is for Virginmedia.

This is the mail service I get with Outlook and live using Windows Live mail.

https://mail.services.live.com/DeltaSync_v2.0.0/sync.aspx

Do you know if that is normal or should it be different.

I only ask as my e-mail inbox messages are deleted every time I close Mailwasher.

They say I need to have Leave a copy on the server ticked but can find no way of doing it.

If the worst comes to the worst I can always remove Mailwasher.

Like this post  
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Secret-Squirrel..Tried that and there is no Advanced for Outlook.co or Live.co."

Apologies Jock1e, you are of course correct - the "Leave messages on server..." option doesn't appear for HTTP mail servers. When WLM downloads an Outlook/Live/Hotmail e-mail it doesn't remove it from the server so that option you're looking for simply doesn't exist.

".........Do you know if that is normal or should it be different."

The server URL you've posted is normal.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel

Ok thanks for the advice.

The problem must be with Mailwasher then.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you any idea of the setting for outlook or Hotmail.

I have them set as Pop 995 and smtp as 25 in mailwasher

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

My hotmail are Pop3: 995 and smtp: 587

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ok lotvic thanks for that.Just about to go out so will try that when I get back.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

For normal Outlook I got this advice from Woolwell on another thread:

Woolwell

Posted April 13, 2013 at 5:48PM

It is much easier with imap than pop e-mail as imap does it automatically. However so that emails downloaded on Outlook are still readable on the iPad then go through to the more settings stage and on the advanced tab tick leave a copy of the message on the server. So that emails read on the iPad can still be read in Outlook then Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars select the email account by clicking on the right arrow next to it, in the window that opens up select Advanced then under incoming settings - Delete from server change to never. This only works for incoming emails. With pop sent emails from the iPad cannot be seen by Outlook which is why imap is better as it syncs all emails between all devices

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

jb, it's Outlook.com (was hotmail) Jock1e said "I don't have office so it is not that Outlook"

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You would have thought that MS could have seen that the outlook was confusion with outlook.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund