We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I can't open PC Advisor's pages.

rawsongreen
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have just reinstalled Windows 7 and now using Deepnet Explorer or Windows Explorer I can't open pages on this website but using Chrome - which I'm struggling with I can.

Any Ideas anyone?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Try turning off Java Script in your Browser settings

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Do you have any problem with other Web Sites loading?

What speed id your normal Internet Connection?

Like this post
rawsongreen

Likes # 0

Thanks woodchip

I've been in the settings but could not see where I could turn off javascript?

Thanks wee eddie

I've come across no other problems and I've forgot how to get internet speeds.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

This subject is a regular on this website, and it would seem to be the views of a number of forum members that it might be down to java script.

I tend to find that Google Chrome works the best, with Mozilla Firefox second, and Internet Explorer a poor third. So I would perhaps suggest that you might give Google Chrome a try, and see if the problems remains.

For a internet speed check, there are a good number of speed-test downloads available on the internet. Here's a couple you might like to try http://www.speedtest.net http://www.gmwsoftware.co.uk (Jack Dinn's Auto Speed Tester)

Like this post
rawsongreen

Likes # 0

Thanks spuds.

I installed IE9 and it seems to work fine up to now.

Like this post  
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I used to primarily use Chrome with this website but now find that 90% of the time that IE10 is better.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I do not believe that Java Script is the main problem.

It may be problematic but in my opinion the Main Problem is causes by the number of 'bytes' required to be downloaded every time you change a page on the site.

My experience is that the initial page loads but that one cannot access it, for a considerable period, until all the Adverts have loaded, particularly the 'surrounding' Advert.

The Surround Advert causes another problem as, if you 'click' on a link before it has fully loaded, the page moves down an inch or so and one finds that one has clicked on a different link, so one has to wait even longer while the original page re-loads.

It's infuriating

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

wee eddie, That often happens to me as well despite uninstalling Java a couple of months ago. I'm using FF20 with AdBlock+

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

As I was rightly reminded in another thread there is a difference between Java and JavaScript. The difference

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home