We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Intermittent, time out, hugely varying ping (between 20 and 2000ms response)

alickdru

Likes # 0

I am absolutely desperate and would be willing to pay to fix this problem. My wifi has serious problems; when I run a loop ping to a website (eg google.co.uk), it will timeout and the ms response varies massively (20ms-20000ms). There is no consistency - at its best the wifi will work for an hour without problems, at its worst, there will be a time out every 10 seconds (or more). I had this problem with my previous Dell XPS 15z which i replaced for my new XPS 14 ultrabook (due to this problem). I had exactly the same issues as before. The wireless networks cannot be the problem as I have the same issue at university and at home with different network setups and providers, whilst others get a constant wifi connection. I do get a constant connection on an ethernet connection. However, on some wireless networks there does not seem to be a problem (at my mother's house). I cannot understand the problem at all. I have had 3 Dell technicians out and none of them have had any success after changing almost all of the hardware. This leads me to think that it is a software issue, but even when i reinstalled windows 8 and installed no other programs, i still had the same issue. I genuinely would be willing to pay/ donate via paypal as I am absolutely desperate. It is a nightmare in terms of work! Any help would be enormously appreciated.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 1

alickdru, I'm disappointed too. Dell-Harish sounded so certain when he said "The issue is due to a PSP mode (Power Save Polling ) feature....." that I was so hopeful a different adapter would solve your problem.

Good luck with the new laptop.

Like this post
alickdru

Likes # 0

I have received my new laptop and I still have the same problem. I have not installed any software other than the factory installed windows 8. As said previously, this does not happen on all Wifi Networks, but certainly does on some. I am completely stumped as to the next step to take. Any ideas?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert