We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Intermittent, time out, hugely varying ping (between 20 and 2000ms response)

alickdru

Likes # 0

I am absolutely desperate and would be willing to pay to fix this problem. My wifi has serious problems; when I run a loop ping to a website (eg google.co.uk), it will timeout and the ms response varies massively (20ms-20000ms). There is no consistency - at its best the wifi will work for an hour without problems, at its worst, there will be a time out every 10 seconds (or more). I had this problem with my previous Dell XPS 15z which i replaced for my new XPS 14 ultrabook (due to this problem). I had exactly the same issues as before. The wireless networks cannot be the problem as I have the same issue at university and at home with different network setups and providers, whilst others get a constant wifi connection. I do get a constant connection on an ethernet connection. However, on some wireless networks there does not seem to be a problem (at my mother's house). I cannot understand the problem at all. I have had 3 Dell technicians out and none of them have had any success after changing almost all of the hardware. This leads me to think that it is a software issue, but even when i reinstalled windows 8 and installed no other programs, i still had the same issue. I genuinely would be willing to pay/ donate via paypal as I am absolutely desperate. It is a nightmare in terms of work! Any help would be enormously appreciated.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

ROUTER details is what Secret-Squirrel is asking for

"The following symptoms can happen if a Wi-Fi access point (AP) or broadband Wi-Fi router does not support the power save polling (PSP) feature... Solution: Contact the AP or router vendor for updated software or firmware to correct the problem"

The CAM solution is the workaround if router can't support the PSP feature.

When you contact Dell support they will want to know what router you are using to access the internet and/or 'out in the field' WiFi AP (Access Point) (ie if you were in McDonalds and used their free AP)

From the info garnered from Dell-Harish K it would seem all Routers do not yet have the firmware to support the new PSP feature.

Like this post
alickdru

Likes # 0

so sorry, my misake. Yes the router is a 'virginmedia superhub' (VMDG480)made by netgear.

I have just been on the phone with dell support who changed the CAM settings and also turned the bluetooth and 802.11n mode to off. These changes haven't worked.

Like this post
Dell-Harish

Likes # 1

i alickdru ,

I Would be more then happy to help you with this issue. Please private message me the Service Tag number, so i could get more information about the system. For other users following this thread, i shall keep you posted on the resolution.

Regards,

Dell-Harish K

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

Dell-Harish, Sorry we don't have the PM private message facility on this forum (despite the envelope looking as if you can). You will both have to 'Contact Forum Editor' (link at top of thread) for FE to pass messages on privately.

That's not as grim as it sounds, FE's very approachable.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

alickdru you will be interested to read this thread on http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Wireless-Networking/Very-Poor-wi-fi-from-VMDG480-Super-Hub/td-p/811301 the post at bottom of page:

"I changed the channel on mine and it now works fantastic Load up h t t p: //192.168.0.1 , Login and select "Wireless Network Settings" Select Wireless Network Settings At the bottom of the screen change the Wireless Band Settings to 5GHz and hit apply. "

(h t t p: //192.168.0.1 I put spaces in so it wouldn't turn into a link, so miss them out when you access routers home page)

That concurs with Secret-Squirrel's advice yesterday.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Like this post
alickdru

Likes # 0

I have sent the message via the editor. Thanks for the posts. I tried changing the settings on the hub suggested on the links you provided earlier and there has been no improvement. I also experience the same issue at home on a Bt Wireless Hub and in the university library with a Netgear Hub so I really dont think it is exclusive to virgin. Dell are supposed to be calling back soon, so I will report back if there is any progress on their end.

One new thing which I have noticed after updating the intel wifi driver 2 days ago; the wifi will now completely disconnect from the router on occasion and once i couldnt rejoin because it said 'network card doesnt support this router'.

However all evidence would point towards a faulty wifi card but I had the same issues with my previous xps (15z) and the wifi card was changed 3 times in that one.

Like this post
alickdru

Likes # 0

One last thing; when I use a wifi hungry program (for example I just did a speed test), the ping time dramatically increased by 50x. It is the first time I have been able to associate the sudden ping time increase to a program. However I'm not sure whether this is of use and it still increases hugely at random moments as well.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Just to rule out something extremely unlikely can another user get it to work correctly.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room