We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Intermittent, time out, hugely varying ping (between 20 and 2000ms response)

alickdru

Likes # 0

I am absolutely desperate and would be willing to pay to fix this problem. My wifi has serious problems; when I run a loop ping to a website (eg google.co.uk), it will timeout and the ms response varies massively (20ms-20000ms). There is no consistency - at its best the wifi will work for an hour without problems, at its worst, there will be a time out every 10 seconds (or more). I had this problem with my previous Dell XPS 15z which i replaced for my new XPS 14 ultrabook (due to this problem). I had exactly the same issues as before. The wireless networks cannot be the problem as I have the same issue at university and at home with different network setups and providers, whilst others get a constant wifi connection. I do get a constant connection on an ethernet connection. However, on some wireless networks there does not seem to be a problem (at my mother's house). I cannot understand the problem at all. I have had 3 Dell technicians out and none of them have had any success after changing almost all of the hardware. This leads me to think that it is a software issue, but even when i reinstalled windows 8 and installed no other programs, i still had the same issue. I genuinely would be willing to pay/ donate via paypal as I am absolutely desperate. It is a nightmare in terms of work! Any help would be enormously appreciated.

Like this post
alickdru

Likes # 0

XPS 14 Ultrabook™ XPS 14 Standard Base, Windows 8 64bit, English 1,008.35 £ 1 1,008.35 £ Item Description Base XPS 14 Standard Base Microsoft Operating System Windows 8 64bit, English Memory 8192MB (1x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Keyboard Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Silver Keyboard Video Card 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 630M Graphics Card Wireless Labels Wireless Label 6235 Hard Drive 512GB Solid State Drive Wireless Intel© Centrino© Advanced-N 6235 & Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Card Cable UK 250V Power Cord Documentation/Disks English Documentation Bundle N02X1447 Enhanced Service Packs 2 yrs Next Day In-Home Service with Premium Phone Support Energy Star ENERGY STAR qualified/EPEAT registered Palmrest Label English Palmrest Label Wireless Wan Card No Mobile Broadband Required Documentation Not Required Order Information XPS 14 Order Primary Battery 69 WHr 8-Cell Battery Processor Intel® Core™ i7-3517U processor (1.90 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.00 GHz - 1GB Graphics & TPM) Color Choice Silver Aluminium Cover Accidental Damage Support No Accidental Damage Protection Packaging Black Box Packaging Online Backup No DataSafe Online Backup 2GB FGA Module PCARR1305_018/UK/BTS/C5 Online Backup No Online Backup Required CFI Included (Smart Selection) CFI Not Included Hard Drive Software SSD Software Value Added Services NO 90Day Premium Phone support Retail Marker No Retail Marker Required Retail Financial Tracker No Finacial Tracker Required Retail Drop in the Box Leaflet No DIB Leaflet Required Retail Registration No Retail Registration Required Retail Information No Retail Info Required Retail Tech Sheets No Retail Tech Sheet Required LCD 14.0" HD+ (900p) True Life Infinity Display with Skype-Certified Hi-Def Webcam (WLAN Only) Microsoft Application Software Microsoft Office Trial Additional Software Additional Software Protect your new PC McAfee SecurityCenter 12 Month Subscription Operating System Recovery Options OS Windows® Recovery Media Not included

Like this post
Dell-Harish

Likes # 1

Hi alickdru ,

The issue is due to a PSP mode (Power Save Polling ) feature that provides extended battery life for notebook computers. It requires coordination between the AP (Access Points ) or Router and the Wi-Fi adapter. Some APs or routers may not implement the feature correctly or completely- Thats why your PC works fine in some locations.

You Could Fix the issue by manually putting the Wi-Fi adapter into Continuously Aware Mode (CAM). This disables the PSP feature.

Use Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility to Set CAM

1. Click Advanced > Adapter Settings > Advanced tab. 
    2. Select Power Management and uncheck Default / Auto and move the slider to Highest / Maximum Performance.

If the slider is already at Highest / Maximum Performance, move the slider to another setting and then back to Highest / Maximum Performance.

Hope this was helpful .

Regards,

Dell-Harish K

Like this post
alickdru

Likes # 0

thanks, I will try this and report back. I am not hugely hopeful though because i have the problem whether on battery or on mains supply. Thanks nonetheless and ill get back to you

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

I do believe Dell-Harish K has the answer, others have the same problem.

en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-internet-wireless

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 1

"I do believe Dell-Harish K has the answer"

I agree - Harish's suggestion does sound encouraging.

If those reports are true then I'm astonished though that Intel would manufacturer a wireless adapter that only works well in some some locations :(

I'm also puzzled that no one from Dell Support seemed to know anything about this problem.

Fingers crossed that the OP gets his problem sorted.

Like this post
alickdru

Likes # 0

This seems incredibly stupid but i cant seem to access the Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility. I can only access Intel Proset/Wireless Tools, which dont give me that option. I have updated all intel drivers. So stupid, but i cant find it at all.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

Steady now, don't rush. First read learn about it before you do anything.

If you had followed the link to Intel on the Dell page that I put link in my previous post you would have gone to http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-006205.htm (which may or may not help) anyway I found for W7 downloadcenter.intel.com but would advise waiting for Secret-Squirrel to comment.

Like this post
alickdru

Likes # 0

I did indeed find it. However the link to intel had a solution for windows xp rather than windows 8. The problem I am having is that i cannot seem to be able to get intel proset utility, only proset tools which dont give me an option to change the power management settings. I have tried the suggestions on the dell page by tweaking things via windows device manager, but it has not resolved the problem. Thanks again for following so closely

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

The poster Dell-Harish sounds like he's a Dell expert, so while you're waiting for further advice from him, you could try the tips I mentioned yesterday. Tweaking the wireless channels in your router shouldn't take long at all.

Don't forget that I'm still waiting for details about your router.

Like this post
alickdru

Likes # 0

its the Wireless Intel© Centrino© Advanced-N 6235 & Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Card Cable (I did post above, although not i a v clear way - sorry) so it is dual band. I have indeed changed the settings but no luck. I am going to give them a call and see if they cant help me now that i can say that the issue is to do with CAM.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home