We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Intermittent, time out, hugely varying ping (between 20 and 2000ms response)

alickdru

Likes # 0

I am absolutely desperate and would be willing to pay to fix this problem. My wifi has serious problems; when I run a loop ping to a website (eg google.co.uk), it will timeout and the ms response varies massively (20ms-20000ms). There is no consistency - at its best the wifi will work for an hour without problems, at its worst, there will be a time out every 10 seconds (or more). I had this problem with my previous Dell XPS 15z which i replaced for my new XPS 14 ultrabook (due to this problem). I had exactly the same issues as before. The wireless networks cannot be the problem as I have the same issue at university and at home with different network setups and providers, whilst others get a constant wifi connection. I do get a constant connection on an ethernet connection. However, on some wireless networks there does not seem to be a problem (at my mother's house). I cannot understand the problem at all. I have had 3 Dell technicians out and none of them have had any success after changing almost all of the hardware. This leads me to think that it is a software issue, but even when i reinstalled windows 8 and installed no other programs, i still had the same issue. I genuinely would be willing to pay/ donate via paypal as I am absolutely desperate. It is a nightmare in terms of work! Any help would be enormously appreciated.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

Try a trace route to see where it goes. Instead of ping type tracert www.google.co.uk then do the ping ping www.google.co.uk and compare the two, might shed some light on issue.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 1

The problems you describe could easily be caused by wireless interference from nearby WiFi networks, or any other wireless device that operates on the same frequencies such as video senders, security systems, cordless phones etc. That doesn't however explain why you get the same problem at uni but it's still worth you trying the following:

1) If you've got any of the other wireless devices mentioned above, turn them off and see if you notice an improvement.

2) Make sure your router is not situated near large metal surfaces or electrical sources such as a PC or microwave oven etc.

3) Changing the wireless-channel number that your router uses can frequently fix problems like yours. If you haven't already done so, log into your router, go to its wireless settings section, and experiment with different channel numbers. It's best to start off with a new channel number that's as far away as possible from its current one.

Like this post
alickdru

Likes # 0

thanks for these suggestions. I will try them when I finish work and report back.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As above go into Router Settings and change the wireless-channel number, try 7 try not to go to high numbers, I find they give more trouble as too low does.

You could also try the Ping at Broadband Max.com

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As above go into Router Settings and change the wireless-channel number, try 7 try not to go to high numbers, I find they give more trouble as too low does.

You could also try the Ping at Broadband Max.com

Like this post
alickdru

Likes # 0

is there anyway for me to upload a prt scrn photo i have of the tracert and loop ping comparison? i cant seem to find one.

Like this post
alickdru

Likes # 0

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"......try 7 try not to go to high numbers, I find they give more trouble as too low does."

Woodchip, generally, there's no such thing as a good or a bad channel number so the OP should try all of them.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

Tip: to copy the contents of command window. Rightclick on the title bar where it says 'Command Window' choose 'Edit' 'Select All' (window will change from black to white background) press 'Enter' on your keyboard or rightclick on title bar again and choose 'Edit' 'Copy' Then open Notepad and paste it in.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 1

"this should be the link to the screenshot"

That just confirms that you've got a performance problem with your wireless connection ;)

It would appear that your new Dell laptop has a dual-band wireless adapter. Do you also have a dual-band wireless router? If you're not sure then post its make and model number. If do you have one then most wireless interference problems can be eliminated by using the less-crowded 5GHz band.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...