We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do I add a second SATA hard drive as a slave?

MikeSA

Likes # 0

Currently my computer has a 500GB SATA Hard Drive. How do I go about adding another 500 GB SATA Hard Drive as slave. On machines with IDE hard drive, one merely has to connect the slave to the same cable but SATA hard drive cables do not have a connector to connect a second drive. What then is the solution?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

On your motherboard you will have several SATA ports to connect your sata cable to. If you have - say 4, they will be designated Port 1, 2, 3, 4 Picture ClickHere Each sata drive will have it's own separate cable from drive to motherboard. The ports will be marked (very tiny writing) on the motherboard. Your present sata drive that you boot from will be plugged into port 1, which in Windows Computer Management, Disk Management will be shown as 'Disk 0' (don't ask why it's not 1) plug your slave sata into port 2 on motherboard and it will show in Disk Management as Disk 1 (ours is not to reason why...)

The Bios looks to find the first Sata drive that has a bootable op sys on it and boots into that.

For example on mine tonight I have got my W7 harddrive plugged into motherboard sata port 2 and my XP harddrive plugged into motherboard sata port 1. My pc boots up into XP.

When I swap cables round pc boots up into W7.

(I have mine set this way as don't want a dual boot setup, I wanted to keep them entirely separate but be able to access files from both harddrives no matter which I've booted from)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: Video shows 'new, reversable iPhone 6 cha'......