We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

False 'crtl' inputs on laptop

Siberian Winter

Likes # 0

Hi. My wife uses a Dell Inspiron laptop, a few years old, which has recently been behaving very strangely. As she types, false 'ctrl' inputs are being generated. What I mean is, when she types a letter 'P' for example, it brings up the 'print' box as if she'd typed 'ctrl P'. Similarly typing 'F' brings up the 'find text' box. Even 'A' will highlight all text which then disappears as she types over it. It doesn't happen all the time, just occasionally, but it can be very frustrating. She swears there is no way she could have accidentally hit 'crtl' without realising it. I have reinstalled the OS (Vista, fully updated) from scratch and even replaced the keyboard, to no avail. Googling has revealed nothing of use, so I'm asking you wonderful people and keeping my fingers crossed. If I can't sort this out it'll have to be a new laptop. £££££££ :(

Thanks for reading.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Press Fn+ num lock

see if that stops the problem

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Although I've not used it myself, a Google search seams to indicate that you can use KeyTweak 2.3.0 to disable the CTRL keys. It's not a fix of course, but as a workaround it should save your sanity if it sorts things out.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The obvious thing is to check that key is not stuck down.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

I think it's unlikely that two keyboards would have a stuck CTRL key.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Sorry missed the replaced keyboard.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"I think it's unlikely that two keyboards would have a stuck CTRL key."

Personally, if it's the Laptops built-in keyboard that was replaced, I'd still be inclined to try plugging in a separate USB keyboard to see if the problem persists.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

HI

I've just Googled your problem and there seem to be a lot of folks who have experienced this problem. I'm sure I've come across it before and it was some key combination to 'unstick' it.

Maybe some of these links will help you find a solution?

Google search - links

Like this post
Siberian Winter

Likes # 0

Many thanks for your replies. Given the intermittent nature of this problem, I'm wondering if the problem is with the keyboard/motherboard interface. I'll try some of these solutions. Thanks again

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I would tend toward the flexing of the keyboard, try not hitting buttons as hard or try different pressures

Remember P is more to the middle of keyboard where it would tend to flex more

Like this post
Dell-Harish

Likes # 0

Hi Siberian Winter

I Agree with mgmcc- If the same problem is also noticed on an external keyboard. If No - Boils down to the connector between the Motherboard and the Keyboard, But if yes - Could be due to Sticky / Hot key Feature enabled .

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/quick-tip-disable-the-sticky-and-filter-keys-in-windows/3910

Regards,

Dell-Harish K

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia