We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How long does a computer scan take?

geek84

Likes # 0

Hi folks

I have the Virgin Media virus scanner installed on my desk top. This morning I decided to do a full scan 0f my PC. The scan is still in progress and it is coming up to 7 hours from when I started the scan!

Does this mean that there are a lot of viruses on the PC? Have I done something wrong when starting the scan?

Shall I cancel this scan process and start again?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I think that 7 hours is rather long but it is dependant on the how many hard-drives you are scanning and their sizes.

As it happens I am running a full scan now and it is only up to 77% after three hours but I do have 3 HDD's to scan.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Depends on the scanner - takes about 4 hours on my system with a built in program, but an online scanner would take longer.

Like this post
geek84

Likes # 0

Thanks guys

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

MacAfee takes several hours on my PC, including the external 500gb drive.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

WOW ! I don't think I have ever had a full scan take more than 40 mins on my PC and I have 2 drives . I tried out the Virgin media scanner , and was thoroughly unimpressed with its performance and results . I use Bitdefender , and IObit ( free version ) as a back up .

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more