We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC Memory Installation Stopped PC Working

Scott20

Likes # 0

Hi Guys

Can somebody please help me?

After doing a memory check using the crucial memory site to see which new memory would be compatible with my old Iextreme packard bell computer's 256mb, it suggested compatible memory 2 * 1gb = 2gb max. e.g. 1gb in each of the 2 slots. Bought corsair DDR PC 3200 off ebuyer made by Corsair,I know value memory bt budget's tight...

Shut down computer unplugged all connections and removed case. Found memory slots and removed 256mb and inserted 2gb as above made sure they fitted firmly etc without disturbing other components inside pc.

Running win xp home Service Pack 3, reconnected pc connections etc and pc booted up showing xplogo etc.

But then came to login window and message:

One of the files contained in the system's registry had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy.The recovery was successful. managed to input password but then it also close down ny Monitor as well.

Unplugged and replaced memory once again and exact same description happened.

I do not have a Win XPHOME disc or boot disc or anything of that sort.

Before removing old memory pc worked fine but obviously slow given the sise of ram was in there.

I would really appreciate a basic simple explanation/instructions to get pc working again as I am not tech savvy at all so I just do not know what to do or how to resolve this issue at all.

peleton

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

Suggest you replace Ram modules out one at a time to see if there is a problem with either of them.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

Suggest you replace Ram modules out one at a time to see if there is a problem with either of them.

Also the advice on this link may help

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/153459/files-containing-systems-registry-had-to-be-recovered/

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Can you really expect Crucial to give you the full details of the RAM that they offer you?

You bought the wrong stuff.

Had you bought it from them, you would have got the correct stuff - Why should they cut their own throat?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

p.s. They didn't tell you any lies

They just, did not give you some "crucial" details.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...