We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to rejuvenate my PC?!

PCPete!

Likes # 0

First of all, I'm new here so thanks for having me!

Basically, I want to upgrade my old PC so I can play games such as GTA,and have a mess around with mods etc, it's something I've always wanted to do. I've grasped the basics such as obtaining more ram, and buying a much better graphics card, but as I'm only running vista (32 bit) I can only install 3 - 3.5 gb of memory.

What I'd like to know is, should I opt for a total new build, or buy a new OS, hence meaning I can fit more ram?

My specs as I understand them are:

HP Pavilion a6623uk Windows Vista Home Premium (SP1) AMD Athlon Dual Core processor 4450e 2.30 GHz 3gb RAM ATI Radeon HD 3450

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If you're upgrading, I'd consider using a bundle, such as one of these from Novatech. That way, you guarantee that the components are compatible. You'd have to add the cost of an OS to the package.

Like this post
PCPete!

Likes # 0

Thanks, so would you say the onboard graphics on those packages would be suitable for the sort of casual gaming I'd be doing?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Probably best to try it and see. I'm not familiar with the games, but you could check their websites to see if they give minimum spec.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Onboard graphics are only good for the most basic of games, anything with real graphics the onboard graphics will struggle. I cannot play Portal 2 on my HTPC because the onboard graphics cannot handle it and that is certainly not a graphics hungry game.

First things first you will need to decide what you have to spend? You might be able to scavenge bits from your current system but I doubt it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite