We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I have to login before Windows Starts

rawsongreen
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have recently reinstalled Windows 7 and I now find that I have to login before Windows opens.

Can anyone help please?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Found this.

Press Windows R. A command box should appear. Type control userpasswords2 and hit the enter key. This should display the User Accounts screen in Windows 7. Select the user account in the main table and uncheck the “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer". A click on the Apply button will open the Automatically Log On window. Enter the password and confirm it to add the password to the system so that it does not need to be entered during logon.

Like this post  
rawsongreen

Likes # 0

Jock1e,

Thanks for your reply

Where or what is Windows R.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Or Control Panel - User Accounts and Family safety - User Accounts - Change your windows password - remove your password.

Windows R is Windows key plus R.

Like this post
rawsongreen

Likes # 0

Thanks woolwell.

Jock1e,

I managed to follow your instructions but I still have to login! That should have worked.

I do not have any passwords entered in WindowsI don't know if that makes a difference.

I'm stuck!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Maybe just keep the password clear and press apply.

CLICK HERE

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Did you try going through control panel?

Like this post
rawsongreen

Likes # 0

Yes Woolwell I did.

I had to reinstall Windows again, that's sorted the login problem but I have another one. I will post again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do