We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acer 5535 Laptop - Intermittent Boot

Dumfy

Likes # 0

Hi All,

I'm trying to sort this laptop for a friend who thought it was dead in the water, but there is life it seems! It's running Vista.

Started off with the issue he had - wouldn't boot. No BIOS screen show as if screen was dead. However, lights would flash, HDD spin up and cooling fan on.

It does boot now, though intermittently having done the following . .

Removed CPU & GPU cooler/fan assembly. The thermal pad over the GPU had a hole in it. Have cleaned all residue away and used fresh thermal compound on both. Thought this could have blown the GPU but should be OK if it boots occasionally?

Removed both memory modules and booted - no BIOS beeps (?). Fitted one module at a time and got it to boot, so identified this module as possibly good. Unable to boot with the second module either on it's own or with the other module. Even with the possibly good module fitted on its own boot is still intermittent - mostly won't boot.

Have connected laptop to TV PC input in case of screen issues. Laptop detected by TV but no boot. If it were a screen prob with the laptop, would it not boot into Windows anyway and play the tune?

I guess I could have two faulty memory modules - one intermittent and the other dead. Is there a way of testing these? I have no other laptop available or spare modules - only a desktop.

I've downloaded a user manual that describes how to take everything apart so that's my next step to check for bad connections etc.

When the laptop boots up and I'm in, everything works well and there are no issues - screen stays on etc, which kind of clears a duff GPU after the broken thermal pad. I can leave it on for an hour and do a restart without problem. If after the hour I shutdown and do an immediate restart, it fails to boot. Frustrating!

Any other suggestions that I can try?

Thanks!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you tried running it with the battery removed.

Sometimes taking the battery off and removing the power cord then holding down the start button for 50 seconds then installing the battery and power cord and pressing the start button works. That gets rid of the static.

Then of course there is sfc /scannow and chkdsk to try.

Like this post
Dumfy

Likes # 0

Thanks Jock1e,

No luck I'm afraid - can't get it to boot at the moment to even try sfc /scannow & chkdsk.

The things I've tried previously were all with the battery out and running on mains (I've booting off mains and battery with/without charger connected).

Didn't know the trick about holding in the power switch for a while though. Gave that a go but still the same . . .

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Give it another go but without the battery.

Like this post
Dumfy

Likes # 0

Removed battery and it took several attempts to boot up but got in with just the mains charger - and with both memory modules in place . . . so they check out OK.

Everything locked with Admin Privilages so rebooted into Safe Mode which allowed me to run sfc /scannow from cmd prompt. Let this run and am now on my 8th successful boot after shutting down (no restart) - even after leaving a short while the laptop is now booting. Big Thanks!

So, is it the battery? Do I risk re-fitting it to test? Or, did the sfc routine fix it? I'm just wary of trying the battery and not getting back in again - if indeed it is the battery . . ??!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You should be able to take the battery off again. What was the battery charge state?

Like this post
Dumfy

Likes # 0

Hi Woolwell,

The battery is off and has been since the earlier posts/replies. I ran the sfc routine with the battery out and it's still out.

It appeared to charge OK and was at 62% the last time I looked.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

sfc /is nothing to do with the battery it just checks for corrupt windows files and fixes them if it can.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

It should be ok to click it back on while the laptop is running I have had the same problems before and never had any problems doing it that way.

Like this post
Dumfy

Likes # 0

Thanks for the info/help Jock1e,

Have done numerous successful re-boots both on mains and battery since I last posted.

I can only assume that once I was in using Safe Mode and ran sfc / that it correct corrupted system files? I'm just wondering what could have become so corrupt that even the startup screen wasn't being displayed - which it is now.

My friend will be really pleased that he doesn't have to buy a new laptop.

Very much appreciate your help and advice. Many thanks.

Dumfy

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Glad you got it sorted Dumfy with a bit of luck it will stay that way.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone