We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot download any file and making a bad situation worse

turtle85

Likes # 0

Hi all,

A few days ago I found that I could not open any attachments sent to me via email. The Windows Attachment Manager (I presume) would just give the message 'Failed - virus detected'. None of the files actually had viruses, I am positive. I knew I had updated AVG just before this; while I only remember installing something to do with Rootkits, I may have up allowed it to update another section, I just can't remember. The 'more information' option I saw when I right clicked the virus detection notification took me the WAM (Windows Attachment Manager) page and I have gone through the internet settings on the security tab, as it instructs, but nothing happened. I stupidly decided to uninstall AVG and 'start again' - this is when I realised that I cannot download ANY file - it doesn't have to be an email attachment, I can't download anything and always for the reason that a virus has been detected (torrents works fine though, rather ironically I feel). When I first uninstalled AVG I turned on Windows Defender (I'm not sure why it was off) and it turned on. That was yesterday. Today it will not turn on. I also tried a system restore and that did nothing that I can identify. Normally I google these problems and copy other peoples advice but I'm not writing the correct search words to find the same problem and nothing I am finding is working - or even possible as I can't download! Does anyone understand what I'm going on about?? I'm afraid I'm not a techie so sorry for bad explanation.. Would be very grateful for any help.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Are you able to download AVG files from another computer? If so then I would start there and reinstall it. I would also run Malwarebytes.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Try this link and download DAP (short for Download Accelerator Plus) to see if that will work for you. enter link description here

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

You appear to have some kind of infection!

Things to try:- I have never been in a position to need them, they are well spoken of but I cannot vouch for them.

McAfee Stinger

Hitman Pro

TrojanHunter

Trend Micro

Of the last, only parts are free and there have been several disagreements as to its efficacy.

Like this post
turtle85

Likes # 0

If I do have an infection wee edie, then I am surprised I got infected while I had AVG running as I thought it was a good anti-virus - despite this I think you are probably right. Will try and download Malwarebytes and a different antivirus software using your suggestion Northumbria61. Would DAP work as a replacement for WAM (Windows attachment manager)? Even if not, faster downloads (I live in hope here) always sound great so thanks for that thumbs up. Thanks for your help guys :)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

There obviously is some confusion re 'Windows attachment manager'

Suggest you read the info on http://www.lansa.com/support/notes/p0348.htm and also http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883260

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

turtle85 - DAP is simply a download manager which I have used for many years - not to be confused with Windows Attachment Manager. DAP (free version) is much quicker than the normal Windows downloads

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

Can you run an online virus checker like trend micro?

http://www.trendmicro.co.uk/campaigns/housecall/index_a.html?mkwid=sB9F1C9J2&pcrid=26429993706&kword=online%20virus%20scanner&match=e&plid=&gclid=CIPkobjQ0bYCFVMRtAodbX8A9A

Few years ago i had a virus that wouldnt let me download anything to do with an antivirus program or even an online scan i was directed towards a product called Combo-fix,which i was able to download

http://www.combofix.org/download.php

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's new OS X Beta Seed Program: Run pre-release versions of OS X on your Mac

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer