We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

multi HDD problem

Blubottle

Likes # 0

Hi I have a dual boot system Win 7 & XP home on a partitioned SATA 500gh HDD, I have two spare IDE HDD's connected on the IDE channel as Primary and secondary on one of these drives I have installed Ubuntu. My problem is that although device manager shows all HD's installed and working, my computer and windows explorer does not show them at all. Some advice please. regards

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Do they show in rightclick My Computer | Manage | Storage | Disc Management

Like this post
Blubottle

Likes # 0

Hi yes they both do as dic 0 and disc 1 with the pri c drive sata as disc 2

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If all the drives both IDE and SATA show then it must be the file system they are formatted to that your OS, My Computer/Windows Explorer does not recognise.

For example XP My Computer/Windows Explorer will only recognise FAT and NTFS. It will not 'see' any other file systems or unformatted partitions/drives.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I should have added in XP My Computer/Windows Explorer: ...or any formatted (FAT, NTFS) drives/partitions that do not have a letter assigned to them (C: D: E: etc) they are then what is called 'hidden' partitions, like some manufacturers put their factory restore images on.

Like this post
Blubottle

Likes # 0

many thanks for your reply, but I need a little help. my drives are listed as:- Disc 0 basic 74.53 gb online 70.53 gb Healthy (active pri partition) 4.00 gb (healthy pri partition).

Disc 1 basic 74.53 gb online Win 7 backup (F) 3.05 gb NTFS healthy (logical drive) 71.47gb free space

these two IDE disks are the ones I can't see. Disk 2 is my Sata drive working as my primary C drive partitioned with WIN 7 and XP in a dual boot

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/ will let windows be able to read a linux drive

Can you see the drives in disk management?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You need - as per Fruit Bat /\0/\ says.

Like this post
Blubottle

Likes # 0

Hi fruit bat Yes i can see the drives as descibed in my previous reply

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Right click and assign drive letters

Like this post
Blubottle

Likes # 0

that does not work, within the computer management panel listing my volumes these two drives have no drive letter, when I right click on them the drop down menu only gives me one live option and that is "delete volume" the other option's are greyed out.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days