We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Would like some questions about viruses?

alternator
Resolved

Likes # 0

I would be grateful if anyone with a bit more knowledge on viruses could answer the following questions: 1) If I download a file(piece of software) which contains a virus, am I correct in assuming, it will not attack(harm) my system until I try and install or open it? 2) Is it possible for a file/piece of software containing a virus in a non detectable form to be downloaded and scanned with an antivirus program that does not pick up the virus, only for it to become active once the file is launched? 3)What is the safest way to download a suspect file, to avoid contamination of your computer (download to a memory stick and scan it there??) Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Like this post
alternator

Likes # 0

Sorry the Subject Line should have said "Would like some Answers on Questions re Viruses"

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

1) By downloading, you have installed any virus's. Opening (especially if its in attachment form) will activate.

2) It is possible, and there are programs out there that will dig deeper for 'root' problems.

3) If you suspect that there is a virus, then the safest way is not to download.

If you have a anti-virus program on your machine, then always make sure that its up to date.

To get really into this subject, then a Google search should bring up some convincing answers to any questions you are seeking.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

There are so many variants of virus/malware and the way they behave, that it is impossible to have a foolproof way of detecting one in a downloaded file.

A workaround is to take a full backup image of your harddrive using a program like Acronis, and store that on a separate external harddrive that can be detached. Then download and do what you will with the suspect file. If it messes all pc up etc. you can then wipe your C: and restore it with the backup image and all will be as it was before you downloaded the dodgy file.

A variant of that is to have a separate cloned hd that you can play with and then take out and put your original hd back in to be 'as before'

Like this post  
alternator

Likes # 0

Thanks a lot for the info guys, appreciated

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

1) Downloading a file does not, in the normal course of events, install it. But if you were, for example, to "run" an installer from within your browser the download is immediately installed (as it is downloaded). Also a virus that is crafted to exploit a "hole" in the software that is doing the downloading, could cause itself to be installed via such a hole during the download - that is one of the reasons why one should keep one's software (esp. Windows and Browser) up to date.

2)Yes. Quite simply no AV program is guaranteed to pick up every possible virus, so the scenario that you have described is clearly possible.

3) The short answer is that if you really suspect the file, don't download it. If you must download it, as mentioned before - make sure all your system is fully up to date first (so all known and fixed holes have been plugged). Doing an image as lotvic suggests is not a bad idea. I would also recommend that after you download such a file, submit it to one (or more) of the online scanning services that will scan it with many AV programs. See:

http://virusscan.jotti.org/en

http://virscan.org/

https://www.virustotal.com/en/

http://vscan.novirusthanks.org/

Like this post
alternator

Likes # 0

Thanks Batch, great help

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers