We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Firefox security - is it safe?

Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Running through the settings on Firefox, I opened the TOOLS tab and then the ADVANCED option

Scrolling down I come to : Government Root Certification Manager

This was for TAIWAN,and had the AUTHORIZATION to check my Emails, which I object to.- My emails are for my private use- not some government body to store.

I have un-clicked this option, and it does not seem to make a difference to downloading except that they download faster.

Are their other security checks you object to?.

Terry

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Cant find it on mine.What version of Firefox are you using.

version 20.01 is the latest version.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Found it under Authorities.

Never ever checked in there and never would if you had not enlightened me.

Out of interest I wonder if anyone else on here new it existed.

It will be interesting to see what others think about it

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

I think you need to read about site certificates.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

This bugzilla.mozilla.org/show seems to be how it was decided to include that cert in Mozilla Firefox

I don't understand it all but found this (quote is from down near the bottom of page) on Windows/technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library

quote/"Is there a maximum number of roots that can be included in the Program? May there come a time when you don’t accept any more root certificates?

Yes. Increasing the number of root certificates made available through this Program can negatively affect Windows performance, since all root certificates are decoded into memory in every process that uses certificates. Actual performance degradation may differ based on version of Windows and type of hardware, but we consider the long-term impact of every decision to incorporate new root certificates, and new classes of CAs. We have not approached the number of root certificates where performance might be impacted, but we make individual application decisions with the long-term in mind. We reserve the right to make membership decisions in our sole discretion based on these criteria, and to change those criteria without notice in the event of any disruption to Windows performance.

Also, every additional root certificate increases the risk of a key compromise or bad certificates due to CA error for hundreds of millions of Windows users worldwide. As a result, we face increasing pressure from the worldwide security community to limit the number of root certificates we distribute for CAs. We only accept CAs that provide value to a large percentage of Microsoft Windows users worldwide or within a country or region. Going forward, we intend to work with the PKI and audit communities on audit regimes and assessor guidelines that will improve CA practices and justify our decision to admit additional CAs. "/end quote

Also I found this piece about Microsoft and Mozilla ban Dutch government root certificate on The Inquirer

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I have about 25 on IE9

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Maybe I mis-understand it, but it seems possible for anyone with enough knowledge to create a root site certificate, so once it is on your system, they have access to your information.

It asks the Question:

How safe is your information?:

1. When it is on your hard-drive ?
  2. When it is in the cloud?

Terry

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

I can't find Government Root Certification Manager or Authorities. FF 20.0.1

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to Tech Helproom from Speakers Corner.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

FF 20.0.1 | Tools | Options | Advanced, Encryption tab and click on 'View Certificates' button | then click on Authorities tab. select one of them and then click on 'Edit Trust' button

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

lotvic

Thanks. I reckon I'll let sleeping dogs lie.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback