We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC slow on start up

Julas

Likes # 0

Hi, up until this morning my pc has been perfectly fine and running with no problems. When i turned it on today it took over half and hour to load after the initial boot. It appeared to be struggling with loading programs. Ive disabled a few programs that i dont need from start up, using msconfig, but the problem still exists. Ive run a virus scan, spyware check, and run defrag but the problem still exists. Please does anyone have any idea. I dont understand why it happened so suddenly and not gradually. Once its on everything works fine. My os is XP.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Sounds as if your antivirus program is running a full check of files on startup.

Configure it's settings so it does not do that.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

As it's XP, I assume it's getting on a bit. May be a problem with the hard drive. I'd backup anything important then try a chkdsk.

Like this post
Julas

Likes # 0

I couldnt see anything on my antivirus about it checking on startup. I did set it to do a scan 60 mins after start up to see if that made a difference. I did go to do a chksdk but i wasnt sure what to do. Il try that later. I did delete superantispyware off my pc and installed malwarebytes to run a scan and it did load up fine this morning. I'l see how it is after the chkdsk.

Like this post
Julas

Likes # 0

Ive run a chkdsk and everything ok. Took everything out of startup that i recognised and didnt need but the problem persists. Its takes nearly half hour to load but runs ok after. Ive noticed quite a few things in startup that i dont recognise or understand. E.g. igfxtray.exe, hkcmd.exe, and igfxpers.exe all in windows\system32 and RTHDCPL.exe, skytel.exe and ALCMTR.exe They are all in location HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\windows\currrentversion\run does anyone know if this is correct. I know RTHDCPL is Realtek HD Audio sound and from research on the net it seems to causing quite a few probs on start up. How can i find out if it is it and any ideas how to resolve it please. Thanks

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 0

. igfxtray.exe, hkcmd.exe, and igfxpers.exe all in windows\system32 and RTHDCPL.exe, skytel.exe and ALCMTR.exe They are all in location HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\windows\currrentversion\run does anyo

The first three are for onboard intel graphics, RTH etc is your audio - it shouldn't make your system slow to a crawl - I've had Realtek audio on a number of machines in the last few years and it's never suddenly made a system slow to boot. ALCMTR is for an board modem. All perfectly normal. Don't recognise Skytel but it should be in the DB lotvic linked to. You need to look in your event viewer for multiple errors when you start the machine, check your hard-drive, look in device manager for unrecognised devices,bring up task manager while the machine is slow and see what is using the highest percentage of CPU time and/or look at your hard-drive lights to see if the drive is thrashing - you're bound to find some people with problems with each of the .EXE files you listed if you spend enough time on Google.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

u may find using a linux distro rub faster like ubuntu or mint

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

try booting to safe Mode to see if there is any difference. Also check device Manage for yellow exclam marks.

Like this post
Dillydream

Likes # 0

I am also on Windows XP and had the same problem immediately after the last Windows update. After many virus scans etc I decided to disable Java Update shown as jusched.exe in Startup which seems to have solved the problem. Hope this helps.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

maybe use about config in firefox and use ramdisk to spped it up google both

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...