We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Internet problem - losing connection periodically

Ynyshir25

Likes # 0

I have been having difficulty with my internet this week. I have been in touch with my IP and they say there is nothing wrong with my phone line. I am using Windows XP Pro and I am losing the internet every few minutes or so. I then ask Windows to repair and then it lasts another few minutes and I am back to square one. Can anyone help me resolve this problem. Please give answers in full as I am not very computer literate.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Make and model of router?

Make and model of PC / Laptop?

Is this the wireless signal your losing?

Like this post
Ynyshir25

Likes # 0

The router is a D-Link Model DsL 2680 I am using an Acer Travelmate 4100 Yes, the problem is I am forever losing the wireless signal. It is driving me mad. This is about my fifth attempt to get back to you as either I lose the wireless signal or am told that the Internet is not responding. It would be great if you are able to help me out here

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

When it does work right click the connection on the Taskbar and click on open network and sharing center.

Then click on Wireless network connection.Then click on Details.

Write down the IPv4Address

the IPvSubnet mask address.

The IPv default gateway address

And both of the DNS addresses.Then close it.

And the next time it does not work go back in there and check that the addresses are the same.If different click on properties.Then click on Internet protocol version 4 TCP/iPv4.Then click on properties.

Then dot Use the following Ip address and also dot use the following Dns Server address.

Add in the details that you wrote down then tick validate settings upon exit and press Ok.

Now that's the way I do it but I am using Virginmedia but worth a try I suppose.

It mabey you may just need to change channels on your router.But if nothing else works give it a try.

Like this post
Ynyshir25

Likes # 0

Thanks for your input. I am afraid it did not work but I then decided to re-connect using the TalkTalk disk they sent me originally. At the moment it all seems to be working OK, but thanks anyway

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

talktalk updater toolTake a look here if you have any further problems.

I had the D-Link Model DSL 2680 provided by talktalk and eventually slung it after a few months as it was giving me similar problems to yours and connected a BT modem.

Personally I would do some research and buy a better modem, that way you are not tied to talktalk for another year by getting a free unit just so they can get a further years subscription.

The down side is if you want help at a later date they will insist you use a Taltalk modem and will not help or assist you.(That has been my findings)

If you do get a problem even with a different modem to what Talktalk say you have to use, you will find most problems can be solved in this forum.

You seem to have resolved your problem for now but dont put up with equipment that gives ongoing problems its not worth the agro.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert