We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A good deal for ssd?

northumbria61
Resolved

Likes # 0

enter link description here

This appears to be a good deal for anyone in the market for an SSD - with £15 cashback

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Potentially Spam - FE told

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

wee eddie

I must be missing something,What makes you think it is spam.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

wee eddie

northumbria61 has been a respected forum member for a very long time. Thank you for your vigilance, nevertheless.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Excellent deal that one.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I'm sure it is a good deal - but when I make my first foray into SSDs, I'm likely to go for a 32GB or 64GB, which is more than enough room for my operating system and the programs (Office, Chrome) I use frequently - and which will cost much less. Or am I missing somethhing?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

By the way: if Northumbria61 is spamming the board, who knows who'll start next? Chronos? Fruit Bat? Onthelimit? Perhaps even the Forum Editor? LOL...

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Ian in Northampton

Please do not get anything less than 128GB as I can assure you that 60GB will not be enough. A 60GB will cost around £50 and a 128Gb will cost around £75 so it makes more sense to get the 128GB.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Chronos: I can't disagree - thanks. This isn't really hi-jacking the thread as such, so... If I get one, I'd get one for my XP machine. I've read mixed things about XP and SSDs, though - can be more trouble than it's worth. While W7 has SSD support built-in - in terms of optimising usage - I believe that, at best, you need to do a lot of manual 'housekeeping' with SSDs under XP, and at worst, they don't work very well at all. Do you - or anyone - have any insight into all that?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

All SSDs now have TRIM support - it just depends if the OS decides to use it, and XP won't. As a result, you will want to buy an SSD which has a toolbox from the manufacturer which among other things will allow you to manually TRIM the drive through the toolbox.

Partition alignment is vital with an SSD and XP will botch this. The simplist thing to do is if you have access to a Windows 7 machine is to put the new SSD in it and run the Windows installer and make the partition you want on the SSD and format. Exit the installer, turn the PC off and remove your SSD.

Put the SSD into your XP rig, make sure the BIOS is in AHCI mode and run the installer and install onto the new partition you just made. Now they will be aligned as the Windows 7 installer aligns partitions whereas the XP one doesn't.

Once you are in XP, install the latest chipset and IMSM (or hopefully RST drivers from Intel) and also the Intel SSD toolbox. Disable system defrag and never defrag the drive and manually TRIM the drive through the toolbox weekly.

Not sure if XP had prefetch but if it did then disable it. You want to leave write-caching on.

Would I bother with an SSD with Windows XP? No I would not, far to much like hard work. I am fortunate as none of my 4 PC's has XP in fact it has been a while since I have used it so with me the problem does not arise.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Well I have created a bit of interest for what has been a non eventful and boring Saturday, for me at least - my team don't play until tomorrow ! (Newcastle against our old rivals Sunderland)

I hope someone benefits from the excellent SSD deal and I think Samsung is a safe bet - and from a well respected supplier - Novatech.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia