We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP starts then very slow

eedcam

Likes # 0

For about a week now the Pc windows XPSP3 starts ok up to the screen background an all the icons ok but no Icons in the right hand bottom tray. Nothing works but after about 15mins all is ok . I have process lasso installed and the little cpu monitor does not appear until about 10 mins in then slowly starts to show some CPU movement then as said all is ok. Done a defrag and av scan nowt wrong bit apprehensive of mucking about with anything other than normal programmes any suggestions please

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I don't have a lot of knowledge about process lasso but what I have read it is a "tweaking" program. It also appears to have a feature "start-up" delay - ie: your prgrams start up in a particular order with a specific delay in between. This could be why certain features are not displaying from the start. You need to take a look at the setup again and configure it correctly if you have been changing it.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Disable Automatic updates in Services and stop it running see if that speeds things up a bit.

As soon as you can at start up right click the taskbar and click on Task manager,Under processes find out what is using up most of the CPU.

Maybe download MalwareBytes and run that and see if it finds any problems an anti-virus on its own is not sufficient.

There were about 8 windows updates on Tuesday did you have problems before that.

And have you downloaded a new anti-virus program lately.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Thanks guys first no have not got new anti virus and have made no changes to Process lassoo As for task manager when I did open that NOTHING was using anything other than system Idle Re updates I did not have that enabled least not in the main block but I now it is enabled in services , however I dont update so it wereen't that that caused it I.l see what happensafter disabling it in services

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you had a look in Device manager to see if everything is Ok in there.

If nothing running system idle process should be showing about 97% under CPU and that is normal.

Have you checked your hard drive to see how much space you have left on it.

And if an old computer when was the last time you gave it a clean out.

Maybe give C Cleaner a run and see if that helps if you don't have C cleaner give Disk clean up a run.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

I've already used Ccleaner nowt wrong in Device manager and the Pc runs perfect once it starts wont be trying Malware dont pay for software like that and hard drive has ample space .Auto updates had no effect and neither did disabling Process lasso

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Download and run CCleaner free

Run the cleaner - then click registry and run the registry cleaner - fix all selected issues do a few times until it stops finding anything.

Next click tools - startup disable everything except your antivirus and firewall (you can re-enable after the next boot if it makes no difference)

Reboot and see what happens.

Malwarebytes is free for personal use.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Problem sorted it was a programme called Rapport some Banks advise using it for security once I stopped starting the PC starts fine Thanks to all for advice

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I've posted here numerous times about the random faults that this dreadful software has caused. If I'm give a computer to sort now, the first thing I do is check for rapport and uninstall it as a check. It can always be downloaded again if it wasn't he culprit.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If anyone wants to read about the varied problems caused by this software, have a read here.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Wel I only sussed it through elimination one by one of start up problems . I contacted Trustee who then ask you to send them logs granted they give you a step by step guide and /or a video on YouTube. Funnily enough even their instructions dont work each time I tried to paste the second log into the new folder I got File xxxx already exists told them that and not heard from them since .

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks