We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

ATX or MATX or ITX?

Viowithcrailtap

Likes # 0

Hi guys,

I saw a case by bit fenix the other day and it was for ITX motherboards. It got me wondering are the ITX motherboards any good?

The set-up in the shop looked great as the tower wasn't huge and came with liquid cooling and dedicated GPU and still had room inside.

So just looking for a bit of advice really. A smaller tower is handy and it looked the part.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

It would be very helpful if you could actually include some information in your threads.

What case was it for starters? Or the mobo you were looking at?

I have two M-itx builds one in a Bitfenix Prodigy and the other in a Cooler Master Elite 120.

The Prodigy has an Asus P8H61-1 mobo, i5 CPU,128GB SSD, 1TB HDD and a GTX660Ti and is my secondary/backup gaming/media PC and very quiet.

The Cooler Master was put together for the better half as she spends more and more time in bed. This setup did not need to be particularly powerful but still has a reasonable mobo Asus P8H61-1 LX a G840 CPU 4GB RAM 1TB HDD but does not have a GPU as she only plays hidden object games and the G840 is more than capable. I was really surprised how quiet this setup was given that it has three fans running.

I used to be a ATX guy, big cases a large mobo but as I got older I realised I was paying for a lot of unused space and decided to downsize to M-ATX which is my main build. I am currently modding a Silverstone FT03 I am currently having a window cut in to one side and am fitting LED feet and one or two other things. This build will contain a Gigabyte Sniper M3 8GB Crucial Ballistix Smart Tracer a 128GB SSD, 2 x 1TB HDD's and a GTX 670.

So it more than possible to build a great gaming PC in a small case, obviously airflow is crucial but with decent cable management and fan set up this is not a problem.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Excuse me if I am being stupid but:

Are these all definitions of the size of the Board and may be made by anyone.

Like this post
Viowithcrailtap

Likes # 0

Sorry Chronos,

The case was a bitfenix prodigy case.

Here's the link to the actual build I saw: http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=PCE-PRODI53WC

The set up looks brilliant and I'm really impressed with how much you can get in such a small case.

My friend is still backing the full ATX motherboards (he has an asus P8Z77 V-LX) but from what I've read the ITX and M-ATX motherboards are quite good.

The air flow issue wasn't too bad in this build as its liquid cooled.

I do feel that I'd just be buying extra slots and space that I won't need

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

wee eddie. This may help you understand the different sized motherboards. Us builders will usually either select case then a suitable sized motherboard or if we are looking to SLI/Crossfire graphics cards or you have one or two PCI cards ,IE a sound card and TV card will also determine what size mobo you require. I now prefer small sized builds as I have no need for the PCI slots or twin/triple PCI-E slots these days. I can build a very good gaming rig using the M-ATX mobo.

Viowithcrailtap. That is not a bad build for the price though I would want to know what motherboard they are using and I find it odd that they do not state this. Also I would want a larger HDD. If I have the time I will price this up as a build see if it measures up.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback