We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I.E 9 Problem On Vista

Chris Webster

Likes # 0

Hi all,

I am trying yet again to sort out a friends Vista laptop.

When I first received it IE9 was crashing and freezing every time it was started.

I have now got it sort of working, by that I mean it now starts up without crashing straight away but I can only get onto a very limited number of websites.

If I start the laptop in safe mode with networking then IE works fine, I can access all websites.

These are the things I've tried already,

I've run sfc /scannow

I've scanned with Malwarebytes ( it picked up and removed some items of Adware )

I've reset IE

I've disabled all add-ons

In Internet Options I've reset everything back to the default settings

I have even uninstalled IE9 and gone back to IE8 but it's still the same.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received,

Regards,

Chris.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Maybe have a look in device manager for yellow exclamation marks.

Could it be the hard drive on the way out.I say that as my grand daughters computer used to freeze up a lot or be extremely slow to open anything in normal mode but was a bit quicker in safe mode.

Like this post
Chris Webster

Likes # 0

Jock1e,

The laptop is running like a dream, it's just IE that there's a problem with.

Regards,

Chris.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Run either SuperAntispyware or Malwarebytes in safe mode. I'd personally run SAS (free) in safe mode first then boot up to mormal mode and run MBAM.

You must update them first.

Free SAS, http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......