We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HELP, I HATE WINDOWS 8

Danavilla

Likes # 0

My old HP laptop crashed so I bought a new Dell from Costco. BAD MISTAKE. the Dell has a few minor glitches such as curser jumping around while typing but the REAL ISSUE is that it came with Windows 8. Now several programs I used regularly won't work on the Dell, some of which are out of business so no updates are available. Others would require purchase of newer software. On top of that, after 3 months of trying to get used to Win 8, I HATE IT. Is there any way to get rid of it and run an older Windows version. I even liked Vista much better. I'm about to relegate this machine to the role of doorstop or paving stone.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If you don't like Windows 8, then there's nothing to stop you replacing it with something that you do like, but it might mean that you would have to purchase that program, unless you wanted to try Linux?.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You can download this which I use.

Classic Shell

It puts the start button and all programs back so that it makes W/8 that bit easier to use.

It is not as good as the W/7 menu version but better than W/8 as it is.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

If you hate win 8 so much As already advised you can purchase another version however this may not come with all the drivers which you will be able to download from Dell, I would suggest you have a chat with Dell before changing anything.

Classic Shell may help,

It did not for me and I went back fully to Windows 7. There is a new version of win 8 out soon have a search for Windows Blue. However it will not have the old start menu that's gone for good say Microsoft

Its little wonder that sales of computers are down from the change over to Windows 8

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If your old progs will run on Windows 7, you could buy an official version and install it. Additional drivers would be available from the Dell support site.

Like this post
Danavilla

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the responses and advice. I was beginning to think my age and calcified thinking were to blame but see I'm not alone with my frustration. I'll check out Classic Shell to see if it helps me muddle along until a better solution can be found.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Classic shell is fine to make W8 look like previous version, but won't overcome the problem with lack of compatibility of old progs.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

For the jumping cursor, it's usually caused by palm brushing against the touchpad. I've used Touchfreeze in the past. from here

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

For your older programs have you tried W8 Compatibility settings MS older programs

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide