We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Missing Itunes and restore points

ZootHornRollo

Likes # 0

I run Windows 7 and up to now it has worked very well but recently has started to lose items. For example I have all my music located on a dedicated external hard drive which I link my iTunes to. However several times recently iTunes will say that the music location is my internal C drive and I have to then re-link it to my hard drive and re-import all the music again which takes a long time as I have 35000+ tracks. This has happened 3 times in the last month

Why is this happening and more importantly how do I overcome it.

The same thing happens with Restore Points. I create them regularly but whenever I open System Restore it says that no restore points exist. Again I would really like to put a stop to this happening. Any suggestions?

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

ZHR:

The best way to kick system restore into life is simply to turn it off, then on again.

Go to control panel > system > system protection. Turn it off for your C:\ drive, reboot, then turn on again. Should be off for all drives except system (C:)

Sorry, never used iTunes, so can't help there.

Like this post
ZootHornRollo

Likes # 0

Thanks for the advice Number six. Unfortunately I have tried it several times and the restore points I create are still disappearing.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

In iTunes, "Edit" "Preferences" "Advanced" there is an option to change where iTunes finds your I Tunes music. Change it to the location you want on the external drive. The programme itself, not the media files will stay on the C: drive.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

My data is on an F partition so my preference is set the path below. I have 2 libraries - my wife and I have one called oma and opas iTunes! and another for grandchildren.

F/: My Documents/MyMusic/oma and opas iTunes/iTunes media

Like this post
ZootHornRollo

Likes # 0

Thanks John. I do the same as you - I set itunes to my external drive but it keep defaulting back to the C drive when I boot the computer up again.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Puzzling. I will do some homework.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Have a read here and Google re ITunes media folder defaults to C drive. Do you always ensure the external drive is on and showing in Start, Computer before starting iTunes. In my case , as I use a data partition rather than an external drive, there is no problem. I do use Freefilesynch to make a mirror image back up of all my data on a SATA drive mounted in a removable caddy on my desktop, and use a USB external drive for backing up from my laptop.

See:

Apple

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes