We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Poor wifi connection on iPad

hawthorn59

Likes # 0

Hi

I recently purchased an iPad 2, and while I love it, I am frustrated by its ability or lack of, to connect online via wifi. I do realize my router is a bit temperamental and will soon need replacing, but even when its working perfectly I still have problems.

Pages will load in Safari, but sometimes only half load, and slowly. It is very difficult to connect to the App store. But I have read about these problems a lot online so I dont think i am the only one. I tired it in a local hotel and it was not great there either.

Could it be a particular setting? I think its a bit much to pay €400 for something which doesnt perform a basic function. Am I alone??

thanks

h

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I found I had a similar problem, I suspect it is because the ipad does not have a particular decent internal antenna. I too need a router upgrade as my old but perfectly faithful Netgear DG834 was finally showing it's age.

after by a new all singing all dancing router the ipad connection improved considerably.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

There was a new update for the I-pad recently have you downloaded it yet.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I find this odd. My three children all have iPads and they connect as well as laptops (here in Shropshire, Wiltshire and in Oz). It's not a problem I've heard of before.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Oh for an edit button: after by a = After buying a

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

I too find this odd. I have an iPad 2 and iPad Mini which connect faultlessly to my router, my son's router, my daughter's router and a 3G "MiFi" unit on the Three mobile network.

I suspect they are optimised for 802.11n with WPA/WPA2 and may have issues with older 802.11g (54Mbps) routers.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I suspect they are optimised for 802.11n with WPA/WPA2 and may have issues with older 802.11g (54Mbps) routers.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. I went from G to N and noticed a marked difference.

Like this post
hawthorn59

Likes # 0

To those of you who havent heard it before, just google it and you will read numerous posts from annoyed iPad owners!!

"I suspect they are optimised for 802.11n with WPA/WPA2 and may have issues with older 802.11g (54Mbps) routers."

How do I check which type of router I have? Some suggestions online also were to disable WPA and select WPA2....I cant find where I do that?

Thanks for all your replies, probably a new router will have to be the solution.

h

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Some guidance (and prices) here

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The only place that I have had problems connecting with an iPad and iPhone has been at a non-UK/EU airport which I know hasn't got the latest wifi technology.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"How do I check which type of router I have?"

If you do a Google search for your model of router you should be able to find its specification. One of the most popular Modem/Routers used to be Netgear's DG834G and that was an 802.11g (54Mbps) device.

"Some suggestions online also were to disable WPA and select WPA2....I cant find where I do that?"

The WPA/WPA2 encryption settings will be in the router's wireless configuration.

A solution for users having problems, but who don't want to change their existing Router, might be to plug an Apple Airport Express into one of their router's LAN ports. This will provide 802.11n connections offering both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies simultaneously. You are much less likely to have interference problems from neighbouring WiFi networks when connecting with 5GHz (which the iPad does support).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Windows 10 is even more like Mac OS X, and not just because it's another OS Ten