We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

32 or 64 bit Java?

hawthorn59

Likes # 0

Hi

I need to download Java and I have a laptop using windows 64 bit. However as i was about to download 64 bit Java I got this message:

We have detected you may be viewing this page in a 32-bit browser. If you use 32-bit and 64-bit browsers interchangeably, you will need to install both 32-bit and 64-bit Java in order to have the Java plug-in for both browsers

So is it the browser or machine that determines which I should download? It gives instructions to check the browsers to see which version they are, but instructions dont work.I mainly use Chrome and Firefox

thanks

h

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Your OS is 64-bit but your browser, Firefox for example, may be 32-bit. When you go to download Java it usually recognises the browser that you are using. The quick way to check whether you are using a 32-bit or 64-bit browser is to...

Windows

In 64-bit versions of Windows, you can determine whether you're using a 32 or 64-bit browser in the Task Manager:

Pressing Alt + Ctrl + Delete at the same time.
Clicking Task Manager.
Click the Processes tab.
The number that appears after the process for your browser indicates the version in use.

It is the browser that determines which version to use - Firefox is 32-bit and so I believe is Chrome, except for Linux.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

'I need to download Java and I have a laptop using windows 64 bit.'

Please don't take offence BUT why do you have to download Java? Unless you are aware of a particular site or program that demands it try disabling it, initially, in your browser and see what happens. I did this about three months ago and nothing has happened so I have removed it completely now.

Java is not the most secure program and if you don't need it don't use it.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

Download both if you have 64bit o/s that was advice from java if you have 32bit browseres like chtome and firefox

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If you are going to use it you would need both the 64bit and the 32Bit.

But like Pine Man says you could try without it to see how you get on.

I use W/8 without it and have had no problems so far and nothing asking me to download and use it.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

If you use a 32 bit browser you only need the 32 bit version. If you then load the 64 bit version it seems to create a problem with the options in the Control Panel Java Settings. Basically if you must install java use a 32 bit browser Chrome, Firefox etc) and don't use 64 bit IE.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I have Java installed but disabled - I have had to enable it on a few occasions.

I assume that when hawthorn59 posted saying "I need to download Java..." that it was the requirement of a site that he/she was trying to access.

Like this post
hawthorn59

Likes # 0

Difarn you are correct! The site of the Revenue Commissoners no less!!!

I will double check but Im pretty certain they said "make sure you have java enabled"

Thanks everyone

h

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

hawthorn59

Yes, you are right. There are quite a few sites that demand it is enabled. There have been many security warnings as you are probably aware but you have the option to disable it after you have used it. In Firefox you just go into Tools, Add-ons, Plug-ins.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...