We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Monitor is beginning to show its age.

cruiser2

Likes # 0

Have a Fujitsu 22 inch monitor which I bought in February 2008. Some of the pixels, especially in the centre appear to be going. Which one of a similar size would be a good buy. I only use it for emails, web searches, typing documents and editing photos and videos. Occassionaly play simple games, no high powered ones. Any help much appreciated.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Before you give up on it, give the recalcitrant pixels a little TLC.

Put a soft cloth, or duster, over your finger and give them a rub! While it is not guaranteed to solve your problem, it costs nothing and gave my last monitor another half year's life

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

When I raised this question about a replacement monitor recently, a number of responses seem to suggest 'future-proof' and VGA monitor's are possibly no longer future-proof, and perhaps this is now reflecting on the lower prices for the bigger screen monitor. Editing videos or photographs might make you consider alternatives. Personally the model,reviews and price delivered in the link would certainly make me think about p#a purchase of that model.

Regarding what wee eddie as mentioned, this was a method used or suggested when 'missing pixel' was often queried on forums, but I haven't seen the method used lately, possibly because things have improved over the past few years. Still certainly worth a try though?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

one thing that I forgot to mention on the reviews of the above monitor, is none of the reviews mention 'flimsy stand', which seems to attract a negative on some models?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Going on the Ebuyer link, you might want to consider Quicksearch 263863 at £85.55 with dvi and 3 year Acer warranty?.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

I have the lg monitor mentioned here by spuds and yes the stand is very very flimsy,i wouldnt recommend the lg for that reason

this acer has some good reviews http://www.cclonline.com/product/71177/ET-WS0HE-B01/Monitors/Acer-S220HQLBrbd-21-5-inch-Widescreen-Full-HD-LED-Monitor/MON0618/

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more