We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can't boot, unsure of the reason.

Houpdoup

Likes # 0

The past couple of days, I've not been able to boot my computer. When I try to boot I receive one of two messages:

A disk read error has occurred

or

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot media in selected Boot device and press a key

I've tried using the windows startup repair, and a system restore via the installation disk, but both were to no avail.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, I can supply as much information as you need.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Maybe check the Bios to make sure that the hard drive is selected as the first boot device.

Is it an old computer and have you had any problems with the date and time changing.

Like this post
Houpdoup

Likes # 0

It's not an old computer, I've tried booting with the hard drive first but it yields the same results. No issues with date and time changing.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Possible hard-drive failure. Make sure you have all your personal stuff backed up and run some tests on the HDD. HDDScan. Or others here. If the drive is failing then system restore or start up repair will not help.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Could also be a bad connection to the HDD

always worth checking or swapping cables to the drive.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Make sure you haven't left a disk in the cd/dvd drive.

Like this post
Houpdoup

Likes # 0

If it's any help for diagnosis, it's been doing this for about 2 or 3 months, but generally I just restart until it boots correctly. I don't know if this is useful information or not, but I hope so.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I stand by my earlier post though it certainly would not hurt to swap the data cable of your HDD.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I agree with Chronos, symptoms of hard drive on way out if it's not a faulty data cable.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Videos leak as Microsoft sets 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

IBC 2014 news: video post, CG and VFX news from Adobe, Blackmagic, Eyeon and more

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...