We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Find my iPad does not find it!

john bunyan
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have W7, 64 bit, fixed IP address, IE 10, Belkin Router, IPad 4, iCloud. All working ok. When I try to test out the "Find my iPad" feature on my laptop, the iPad device is recognised, with a green "on" spot, but a message says "Unable to locate device". I have enabled the location feature on the iPad; I wonder if it is a router setting?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Has anyone an answer?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I'm overseas at the moment and picked up your post on my iPad. I doubt that it is anything to do with your router or your home set up. Does the iPad show its correct location in Apple Maps?

I'm sorry but I doubt that I can follow up with much for at least 24 hours.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Thank you so much for replying - hope you continue to enjoy your trip. I am checking on the Apple Maps issue as I have the Google maps(+Steet view) app installed as well, since IOs 6 at first did not get on with the normal Google Maps website. No hurry, and thanks again.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Check on Google Maps that the correct position is shown. I suspect that this snag will cure itself.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I have had an extended telecom with Apple and ended up with a senior USA advisor who is calling back tomorrow! Tried everything - still not working - reset, checked WiFi,etc. She thinks it may be to do with the ISP - Pipex - Tiscali - Talk Talk as their protocols may not fit with this feature. Also there may be a problem with the user id and password, although they let me in to iCloud and the iTunes account.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It will be interesting to find out what the problem is. I've always found it to be very accurate. Have you tried "Play sound"?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Woolwell

They are phoning back at 5pm. IT seems to be a possible problem with the Apple ID /password or maybe the Pipex interface. I have, under their guide, reset it, switched off and on the router, turned the various options on and off , all to no avail. iCloud first says "No devices are on line" then when you click on the device it is shown, with a green spot, bur with a sign saying "Unable to find location". One problem is that I have been unable to use my wife's normal e Mail on it as the "Other" settings for e mail accounts are too cumbersome as I do not have all the pipex details re portals etc so my grand daughter set up a Hotmail account on the iPad itself which has not yet been used...

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Does your wife use OE or Windows Live Mail, etc. When setting up email on my iPad I copied the account settings down including ports, etc and then put exactly the same settings in the iPad. I now have 4 totally different email accounts working.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Woolwell

My wife and I use Outlook (not OE) on W7. I will endeavour to do as you say on the iPad (if I can find the settings!). For now she has a Hotmail account on the iPad.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Which version of Outlook? I use Outlook and I copied the settings from that. It should be under account settings, change, then under more settings and the advanced tab should be useful.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)