We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Mail and Talk Talk mail

giggsy

Likes # 0

Hello everyone! I hope you can help. A friend of mine has a Windows Vista pc and Talk Talk broadband. She uses Windows Mail. The problem she has is that all the emails she gets get downloaded onto her pc and appear in Windows Mail. Consequently all the emails are stored locally I think and would be lost if her pc failed. When she logs onto Talk Talk mail on the web there is nothing in her Inbox. Is it a simple setting she has wrong that I can help her with? Does anyone have experience of combining Windows Mail and Talk Talk? Am I being a bit simple here? Apologies if so but any assistance would be very much appreciated. Thanks. :-)

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As soon as Windows Mail is run, it gets all mail from the server, and empties the inbox on talktalk. But as you say there must be a setting to store on the server

PS Depending on how windows gets the mail, it most likely uses pop.talktalk.com or some such. if you change the pop it will not download mail and she will be able to check mail on the srver.

PS do not change SMTP as this is for sending outgoing mails

Like this post
beeuuem

Likes # 0

See http://support.tigertech.net/windows-live-mail-lmos on how to change the mail settings to leave a copy of mail on the server. A better measure to safeguard against losing data in the event of a PC or HDD failure is to regularly back up.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

In Vista's Windows Mail choose Tools > Accounts, click the account name, click Properties, click the Advanced tab and tick box for 'Leave copy of messages on server'

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

Note that there will be a restriction on the amount of data that can be stored on the server so this does not provide long-term storage facility and periodically e-mails will have to be deleted there to retain the service.

Like this post
giggsy

Likes # 0

Everyone - thanks for your input. Much appreciated. I have sent the url to her to view after she gets back home. I shall let you know how she gets on. Regards, Giggsy.

Like this post
giggsy

Likes # 0

Everyone - thanks for your input. Much appreciated. I have sent the url to her to view after she gets back home. I shall let you know how she gets on. Regards, Giggsy.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

beeuum Link

Like this post
giggsy

Likes # 0

Hi peeps - just to let you know ticking the 'leave a copy of the message on the server' appears to have done the job so she is really pleased as she has a lot of important emails on there. Thanks again for your responses - much appreciated. It's great to have a forum where you can come and ask experienced users questions they know the answer to instantly! Thanks to everyone who responded.

Kind regards,

Giggsy

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'