We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows XP desktop not booting up correctly

deuce22

Likes # 0

Hi.

I have recently borrowed my mother in laws desktop PC because I have a Macbook and there are a few things that I need a Windows PC for.

It was working fine on the first day, but will now not boot up correctly. It keeps going to the page with safe mode on. If I don't press anything it just keeps restarting. I have also tried every other option and it always goes back to the start.

She does not have a Windows disk, so I can't use that. I want to remove everything off the computer anyway, so don't mind if there's a way of sorting this out, but deleting everything.

Thanks.

Like this post
deuce22

Likes # 0

I have just noticed the sticker for xp on the bottom of the machine.

It has a product key on there.

Is there anything different I can do now?

Thanks.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Although you have a product key on a sticker on pc - You need to tell us the make and model of the pc. If it is still the original install from manufacturer it will have been installed with a factory pre-activated key (not the one on the sticker) and it may have a factory restore facility on the hard drive. There are certain other F key combinations you can press when booting up to enter the menu to start a factory restore facility.

Also I think you should go into the bios setup and alter the setting for 'Halt on all Errors' so that instead of restarting it will display error message.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes you can download and burn an iso file with a MAC. this will make a bootable linux CD.

Put the CD in the PC and and reboot it it should boot from the CD if not then it will be a matter of entering BIOS to change the boot order to CD drive as first boot device.

Like this post
deuce22

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit Bat.

I just took it to a computer shop and they wanted £60 to re install XP. They said it wouldn't be a problem as I have my own product key.

Seemed like a bit of a rip off.

I followed the link you said to this page http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/ and downloaded the top choice.

I burned it to a disk and it says at the top of the black screen Boot from CD. It then just takes me back to the options screen with safe mode.

Have I downloaded the right one?

Thanks.

Like this post
deuce22

Likes # 0

Hi lotvic.

The computer is a Packard Bell UTOW.

I said this earlier. Is this wrong? It says Packard Bell on the casing and UTOW is where it says Model no.

Is there anything else you need?

Cheers.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

sorry, my fault, I didn't pick up on that. Packard Bell: If the restore bit is still there:

Power on your computer. When the Packard Bell logo is displayed, press and hold the ALT key while pressing repeatedly the F10 key. Release the keys when a message displays that Windows is loading files.

After the system recovery program has loaded follow the prompts to reinstall the operating system.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Restore

If you do that you will lose any data and programs on there.

Try Slax iso from here (that method of getting knoppix looked difficult) remember that when you burn the iso file you need to do it using the "burn iso section from your burning software and not as just a normal data burn otherwise it will not boot.

Even if you cannot repaie windows with linux as described at least you willl be able to recover data pics music etc. and not upset the mother in law too much. :0)

Like this post
deuce22

Likes # 0

Tried the ALT F10 key thing and it doesn't work.

I, or her are not bothered about anything on the PC. She hasn't used it in a couple of years and I just want it back to factory settings.

Just downloaded and burned Slax ISO and it will not boot from disk.

I know the disk drive is working as she has 2 restore disks from her old E machines computer and they seem to run on it, but just don't restore anything.

I put the blank disk into my Macbook and it shows on the side, I then drag and drop the file and burn on the lowest speed.

Should I try burning it with something different. Could it be that it's not compatible with Windows?

Thanks.

Like this post
deuce22

Likes # 0

I've managed to burn the file to disk successfully.

I have always burned to disk as slow as possible, but I tried it on maximum setting and it has worked.

I've installed the disk and I've now got a homepage with a Penguin on. What do I do now?

Thanks.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

As your computer starts, you should have Slax start.

When it begins, you will see a screen that shows the Slax logo and also words at the bottom that say boot. Here, you can wait and Slax will load for you, or you can add extra things to change stuff.

For now, since it's your first time just hit enter or wait 5 seconds. After you wait for awhile, you will see different things on the screen, and finally it will get to a screen that says login. Type root as the username and toor as the password. This will get you logged in.

once your at the desktop click on system then storage media this will give you access to your hard drives and removable disks then its a simple matter of copying the system file from windows\repair to windows\system32\config

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers