We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Desktop will not display

penholder

Likes # 0

When I boot my computer everything displays as it should up to and including the XP welcome screen. Then the monitor displays a white screen followed by intermittent flashes of the desktop. So I cannot access my programmes etc. The ASUS m/board has a splash start up which works fine and dispaly is ok. When I close this to access the OS, the above then occurs. Any ideas, anyone?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

You have a graphics card problem. Try in the first instance removing and reseating the graphics card and if possible try another cable.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Have you tried starting in safe mode? tapping F8 as its booting. then do a system restore if it gets to Safe Mode

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS have you been updating the graphics driver of late? if not you could try updating it

Like this post
penholder

Likes # 0

The mobo (Asus M4A88t-V EVO) has an integrated ATI Radeon 4250 GPU. Will try starting in safe mode.

Like this post
penholder

Likes # 0

Cannot enter safe mode by pressing F8

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

you have to keep tapping f8 after you press start button, or try f5

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If it displays ok in safe mode then try uninstalling / reinstalling graphics driver.

Like this post
penholder

Likes # 0

Thanks for your help. Further investigations lead me to belive it to be the White Screen virus which has a variety of names such as the Cheshire Police Virus etc.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
penholder

Likes # 0

Many thanks. Found this site. Used AVG Rescue procedure by downloading tool to USB and using that. Took a long time to clear completely. Afterwards used Malwarebytes, Spybot and a scan with AVG. Interestingly, virus seemed to be linked to Java, but I may be wrong about this.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days