We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Retrieve emails from slave HD

griffo

Likes # 0

I have had a motherboard die on me and I have installed the hard drive into another PC as a slave drive, so I can continue working whilst waiting for a new MB.

I have managed to copy & paste all the Internet Explorer Favourites but don't know about Outlook.

Is it possible to access Outlook on the 'slave drive' to retrieve all historic emails and transfer them into Outlook on the C drive of the 'resident' PC?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Locate the PST file on your old drive

Select File | Import and Export... from the menu in Outlook.

Select Import from another program or file. Click Next.

Highlight Personal Folder File (PST). Click Next again.

Now use the Browse button to select the backup copy of the PST file you want to recover from your old drive.

Make sure Replace duplicates with items imported is selected.

Click Next.

Finish the import process with Finish.

Like this post
griffo

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply Fruit Bat. Problem is I can't see the .pst file on the 'slave' HD. Any suggestions please?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If it is Microsoft Outlook you can sign into it direct from the Internet and I believe all your e-mails should be on that.

If it is outlook or outlook express I am not sure if that would work out the same.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Good point Jock1e.

Is it MS Office Outlook (PST file on your slave pc) (and you will need MS Office Outlook on new pc to be able to follow Fruit Bat /\0/\'s instructions)

Outlook Express (dbx files)

Outlook.com (webmail was hotmail)

Like this post
griffo

Likes # 0

Thanks for the responses. It is MS Outlook 2007 on Windows XP.

Went to Outlook.com, out in the email address and the password and it says one or other (or both) are wrong and no such account exists.

Like this post
griffo

Likes # 0

Another thought - all the old emails won't still be on the server will they, as the account isn't set up to 'leave a copy on the server'.

It seems to me that I need to find a way of getting the 'slave' drive to show hidden files, so I can see/access the pst file?

Like this post
griffo

Likes # 0

Finally managed to find the .pst file on the slave drive, followed FB's guidance and all is restored.

Many thanks to all respondents.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If you are running Windows XP, .pst and .ost files are created in the My Documents\Outlook Files folder.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes