We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Using TeamViewer remotely to scan PC

compumac
Resolved

Likes # 0

Has anyone had experience of using Teamviewer to access another person's PC and then ran remotely, - antivirus scans, CCleaner etc? .

Programmes already installed on the controlled PC.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Yes I have - you can do anything (virtually) that can be done on the machine itself, as long as it doesn't involve disconnecting from the net,

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

onthelimit.

Thanks for that.

I had actually done the exercise with two of my PC's at home without any obvious problems surfacing, but I did not want to start the exercise with a difficult relative and run into trouble causing ME extra stress.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

The best way is to set up a permanent login for the client computer and add it to "Computers & Contacts" in your Teamviewer. This means you don't have to keep ringing them up after a reboot to get them to inform you of the new password each time. When the client computer reboots you will see it re-appear in your signed in list.

Also make sure that the client computer is not set to sleep, hibernate or shut down after a short period of inactivity. Then you can log in, set a scan or update running, log out and log back in after you think it will have completed to check progress.

I have several friends and clients who do this. They just phone me when they have a problem, leave their computer on when they go out and I can log in at my leisure to sort it out for them. Works well.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Taff.

Interesting. Thanks for that

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Taff

Thanks for the info on "Computers & Contacts". I have set up relatives PC with a continuous password so that I can go straight through and help. You comment that "When the client computer reboots you will see it re-appear in your signed in list" Currently that does not function when he reboots - only by starting TeamViewer at his end. Am I missing something?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Currently that does not function when he reboots - only by starting TeamViewer at his end. Am I missing something?

In the remote PC, Teamviewer needs to start automatically when the PC boots. If there isn't an option to do this in Teamviewer's settings, a shortcut needs to be added to the PC's "Startup" folder.

Accessing the Startup folder varies slightly depending on the version of Windows. In Windows 7/8, press Windows key + R to open the Run box, type shell:startup and press Enter. Create a shortcut to Teamviewer's .EXE file.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

mgmcc.

Appreciated but thought that perhaps TeamViewer might have done that by default. Have already done in the interim the method you have indicated, but thanks for input anyway, all pointers are helpful

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Must admit I thought it did by default but look in the Extras Menu - Options and it's there!

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

You can use the drop down menu at the top of TeamViewer screen (under Actions) to reboot remotely. Then when the client PC restarts the connection between the two is automatically restored. No need for another password - it is still the same as before and you just press Enter.

Like this post  
compumac

Likes # 0

Taff & Sea Urchin.

Just found the option in Teamviewer and was about to post back but you both beat me to it

Now up and running.

Thanks to all posters.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes