We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

trying to Update Bios without Floppy drive: the latest story

Salamander7

Likes # 0

This post is primarily focused on Fruitbat because he posted the link which has taken me to this point in my saga but anyone is welcome to join in especially if they have a knowledge of Dos.

Fruitbat,

I followed the instructions in the link you posted and successfully booted from CD and while in Dos told the computer to open the BIOSUPDATE. EXE file. I then got a long list of type which appeared to be lots of instructions for example "update microcode". It finished with a list of four options the last one being: answer YES to any prompt. I presume these instructions were not meant for my immediate use but were part of the update. Then everything stopped. I did not know what to do next. How could I get those instructions up and running? After a while I tried typing 'yes' but it just moved to the next line: nothing happened. So what I need to know is what response do I need to give to make the programme execute all the instructions it listed?

When copying the files onto the boot disc I only copied BIOSUPDATE.EXE. I noticed there was an Autoexec batch file which I ignored. Should I have copied it to the boot disc as well. I just feel I am close to resolving the issue, it is just that I lack the final expertese.

Can you help, Fruitbat?

Like this post
Salamander7

Likes # 0

Anyone?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

previous thread

Really would have been easier to carry on with old thread than start another.

CD link

As its booted into the CD I assume you burnt it correctly as an ISO

If you are in DOS at an A:\ prompt then type

cd z:

press enter should put you at z:/

now type biosupdate.exe

press enter

and follow the on screen instructions carefully.

I have only flash a BIOS twice, first time failed and cost me £200 new board cpu and memory, second time a couple of years later and with a lot more computer knowledge I attempted to get the old motherboard working as a learning experience. Of course by then the board was well out dated :0)

Moral Don't flash BIOS unless absolutely necessary a last resort only.

Like this post
Salamander7

Likes # 0

I appreciate your response, Fruitbat.

I have done everything you listed already. When I typed biosupdate.exe I got the long list of text I referred to above then everything just stopped. There were no instructions for me to follow. There was a a list of four options one of them being "Type Yes to any prompt" but there was no prompt. I typed "YES" but this had no effect.

My feeling is that the four options are part of the programme that needs to run and then the options would be accessed. As it stands the BIOS update is listing itself but is not running. How do I get the programme to Run(execute?). Do I need to include in my boot CD the autoexecbat file which was one of the files in the original BIOS update?

The reason I am trying to update the BIOS is that I have fitted a 3.8 GHZ CPU which is only running at 2.6 despite the fact that Windows has recognized it as 3.8 GHZ.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Open the autoexe.bat file in notepad an copy and paste it here

lets look at what it does I suspect its the same as the one on the iso file and its just to get dos and the CD rom drivers running

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

If you cant get round it you could purchase an external usb powered floppy drive?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-External-Portable-1-44-MB/dp/B004S960AS/ref=sr16?ie=UTF8&qid=1365429770&sr=8-6&keywords=floppy+drive

Like this post
Salamander7

Likes # 0

Fruitbat,

Notepad or any other programme I have on the PC will not open the batch file. I do not think it is the same as the ISO file because it only a 1K file. 144 bytes to be exact.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

right click - open with - choose notepad

Like this post
Salamander7

Likes # 0

I have discovered the way to open the batch file is to Right click then choose edit. Having done that the file read as follows:

@echo off cls ver/d echo. echo Flash First BIOs update Diskette echo System BIOS echo V5.00 R1. 10. 2190 echo. BIOFLASH/Auto :END

That is it nothing more, nothing less.

Like this post
Salamander7

Likes # 0

The formatting on this forum prevented the above text appearing as I typed it. Every echo is the start of a new line.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Copy to the CD with the BIOS update and run it from the CD

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more