We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Screen goes black when loading up a game

octarine

Likes # 0

I should write everything I know about the problem first. 2 days ago my PC started smelling like burning very faintly, I loaded a game up later that day and my PC made a loud noise. I immediately shut my PC down and waited for a bit. I loaded it up later and it was fine and the temperatures of my CPU and motherboard are fine. The next day I loaded up starcraft 2 and everything was fine until I actually started a match. When the match finished loading my screen went black, I could hear the sound in the background and after 2 minutes it came back. I shut the game down and didn't play another game that day. Today when I loaded another different game up my screen went black at the main menu and I had to turn my PC off by holding down the power button. I could not hear the game in the background this time but could hear what sounded like one sound looping constantly and very fast. I could ctrl alt delete out of the game this time though.

I have opened up my case and all the fans are working and there is no obvious problem. I removed any dust from inside the case and loaded my PC back up. I loaded up starcraft 2 again and this time I didn't even get to the main menu. As soon as the loading screen had finished my screen went orange for a few seconds and then turned black. Every few seconds the game would flash on the screen for less than a second but then it would turn black again. Every time I shut the game down through ctrl alt delete an error message appeared in my notifications area. It said display driver AMD stopped working and has recovered.

I checked I had the latest driver installed (I did) and then reinstalled it. I am now about to load up starcraft 2 again to see what happens. If anyone has any information about what the problem is I would be very grateful. Thank you.

Update: I just loaded up starcraft 2 and the screen went black immediately. After a few seconds the log in screen appeared but then the screen turned black again after another few seconds. When I used ctrl alt delete to get out I opened the task manager again but this time I saw a programm running called warnigform (the icon was the same as my AISuiteII program which is what I use to monitor my temperatures). Every time the game flashed back on the screen I heard a clicking noise coming from my PC. This happened the last time I loaded up starcraft 2 aswell but it was only 1 click, not a repeated click like this time.

My specs are: Processor: Intel core i5-2500k Memory: 4GB RAM Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 6800 series Operating system: Windows 7 home premium 64-bit

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I assume you are using a Desktop PC. Is everything else working or are you saying the problem only occurs with the game?

If not, check your Graphics card connections - ie: with Power OFF remove card, use a fine brush to clean the slot and then re-seat it and Reboot. Check connections from the PSU to the motherboard. If all appears to be okay it appears your Graphics card has developed a fault and needs replacing. The error message display driver AMD stopped working and has recovered gives this indication.

Also, a burning smell indicates you may have other problems.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer